Is there a third way to EMU for the EU accession countries?
The actual mainstream view of academics emphasizes the so-called \"two-corner solution\" with either completely fixed or independently floating exchange rates. We will argue in this paper that the requirements for fixed rates are rather too restrictive to be successful. On the other hand, the advantage of an independent float is only valid for small open economies under the assumption of exchange rate movements closely related to movements in the fundamentals. We suggest as a \"third way\", a strategy of flexible exchange rate targeting where central banks simultaneously manage interest rates and exchange rates in a way that guarantees both the achievement of domestic macroeconomic objectives and an equilibrium on the international financial markets.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Systems 3 25(2001): pp. 253-274|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 2000.
"Open-economy inflation targeting,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 155-183, February.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521466004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Mirage of Floating Exchange Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 65-70, May.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1993.
"Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals,"
NBER Working Papers
4503, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "Fixing exchange rates A virtual quest for fundamentals," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-37, August.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1993. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," CEPR Discussion Papers 838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, R.P. & Rose, A.K., 1992. "Fixing Exchange Rates: A Virtual Quest for Fundamentals," Papers 529, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521460477 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laurence M. Ball, 1999.
"Policy Rules for Open Economies,"
in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 127-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "No Single Currency Regime is Right for All Countries or At All Times," NBER Working Papers 7338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Kari H. Eika & Neil R. Ericsson & Ragnar Nymoen, 1996.
"Hazards in implementing a monetary conditions index,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
568, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eika, Kari H & Ericsson, Neil R & Nymoen, Ragnar, 1996. "Hazards in Implementing a Monetary Conditions Index," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(4), pages 765-90, November.
- Eika, K.H. & Ericsson, N.R. & Nymoen, R., 1996. "Hazards in Implementing a Monetary Conditions Index," Memorandum 32/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Szapary, Gyorgy & Jakab, Zoltan M., 1998. "Exchange Rate Policy in Transition Economies: The Case of Hungary," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 691-717, December.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Smets, Frank, 2000. "MCIs and monetary policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(9), pages 1677-1700, October.
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "Exchange Rate Regimes in Selected Advanced Transition Economies; Coping with Transition, Capital Inflows, and EU Accession," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 00/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2000. "The mirage of floating exchange rates," MPRA Paper 13736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1996.
"Fixes: Of the Forward Discount Puzzle,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 748-52, November.
- Begg, David, 1998.
"Pegging Out: Lessons from the Czech Exchange Rate Crisis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 669-690, December.
- Begg, David, 1998. "Pegging Out: Lessons from the Czech Exchange Rate Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Mayes & Matti Virén, 2000.
"The exchange rate and monetary conditions in the Euro area,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 199-231, June.
- Mayes, David G. & Viren, Matti, 1998. "The Exchange Rate and Monetary Conditions in the Euro Area," Research Discussion Papers 27/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Bofinger, Peter, 2000. "A framework for stabilizing the euro/yen/dollar triplet," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 137-151, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lmu:muenar:20209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.