Monetary convergence and risk premiums in the EU candidate countries
This study examines the link between various monetary policy regimes and the ability to manage inflation and exchange rate risk premiums in the EU candidate countries as they undergo monetary convergence to the eurozone. The underlying hypothesis is that a system of 'flexible inflation targeting' may be an optimal policy choice for managing these two categories of risk. A model of inflation and exchange rate risk premiums within the context of inflation targeting is proposed. Recent trends in these risk premiums in Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland are tested by using the GARCH (1,1) methodology.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi Galí & Tommaso Monacelli, 2004.
"Monetary policy and exchange rate volatility in a small open economy,"
Economics Working Papers
835, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jordi Gali & Tommaso Monacelli, 2002. "Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," NBER Working Papers 8905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galí, Jordi & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2002. "Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3346, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2001.
"Monetary convergence of the EU candidates to the Euro: A theoretical framework and policy implications,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 25-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Lucjan T Orlowski, 2005. "Monetary Convergence of the EU Candidates to the Euro: A Theoretical Framework and Policy Implications," Macroeconomics 0501032, EconWPA.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006.
"Can Emerging Markets Float? Should They Inflation Target?,"
in: Monetary Integration and Dollarization, chapter 8
- Barry Eichengreen, 2002. "Can Emerging Markets Float? Should They Inflation Target?," Working Papers Series 36, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- R. Golinelli & R. Rovelli, 2001. "Interest Rate Rules and Inflation Targeting in Three Transition Countries," Working Papers 429, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2001. "From inflation targeting to the euro-peg: A model of monetary convergence for transition economies," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 233-251, September.
- Laurence Ball, 1998.
"Policy Rules for Open Economies,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp9806, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Bofinger, Peter & Wollmershauser, Timo, 2001.
"Is there a third way to EMU for the EU accession countries?,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 253-274, September.
- Bofinger, Peter & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2001. "Is there a third way to EMU for the EU accession countries?," Munich Reprints in Economics 20209, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ali M. Kutan & Josef C. Brada, 1998. "The persistence of moderate inflation in the Czech Republic and the Koruna crisis of May 1997," Working Papers 1998-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998.
"Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Papers 646, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," NBER Working Papers 6790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Seminar Papers 646, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1998. "Inflation targeting as a monetary policy rule," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Marc Zelmer & Andrea Schaechter, 2000. "Adopting Inflation Targeting; Practical Issues for Emerging Market Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 202, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Haldane, 1997. "Some Issues in Inflation Targeting," Bank of England working papers 74, Bank of England.
- Neumann, Manfred J. M. & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2002.
"Does inflation targeting matter?,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 01-2002, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert J. Barro, 2001. "Dollarization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 381-385, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeiwps:b262002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.