The Political Economy of European Wine Regulations
The EU wine market is heavily regulated. Despite the many distortions in the wine market as a consequence, reforming the regulations has proven difficult. This paper analyses the political economy mechanism that created the existing set of wine regulations. We document the historical origins of the regulations and relate these to political pressures that resulted from international integration, technological innovations and economic developments.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2004. "Inserting GM Products into the Food Chain: The Market and Welfare Effects of Different Labeling and Regulatory Regimes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 42-60.
- Becker, Gary S, 1983. "A Theory of Competition among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400, August.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2008.
"The Political Economy of Nutrition and Health Standards in Food Markets ,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 460-468.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandemoortele, Thijs, 2008. "The Political Economy of Nutrition and Health Standards in Food Markets," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2009. "Are food safety standards different from other food standards? A political economy perspective," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 507-523, December.
- Pinilla, Vicente & Serranoz, Raul, 2008.
"The agricultural and food trade in the first globalisation: Spanish table wine exports 1871 to 1935 – a case study,"
42657, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Pinilla, Vicente & Serrano, Raúl, 2008. "The Agricultural and Food Trade in the First Globalization: Spanish Table Wine Exports 1871 to 1935 – A Case Study," Journal of Wine Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 132-148, December.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Pinilla, Vicente & Ayuda, Maria-Isabel, 2002. "The political economy of the wine trade: Spanish exports and the international market, 1890 1935," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 51-85, April.
- Daniel Pick, 2008.
"Geographical Indications and the Competitive Provision of Quality in Agricultural Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 794-812.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Menapace, Luisa & Pick, Daniel, 2008. "Geographical Indications and the Competitive Provision of Quality in Agricultural Markets," Staff General Research Papers 12858, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- GianCarlo Moschini & Luisa Menapace & Daniel Pick, 2008. "Geographical Indications and the Competitive Provision of Quality in Agricultural Markets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp458, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- De Gorter, Harry & Swinnen, Johan, 2002. "Political economy of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 36, pages 1893-1943 Elsevier.
- Critz, José Morilla & Olmstead, Alan L. & Rhode, Paul W., 1999. "“Horn of Plenty”: The Globalization of Mediterranean Horticulture and the Economic Development of Southern Europe, 1880–1930," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(02), pages 316-352, June.
- David, Paul A, 1985. "Clio and the Economics of QWERTY," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 332-37, May.
- Alessandro Stanziani, 2004. "Wine Reputation and Quality Controls: The Origin of the AOCs in 19th Century France," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 149-167, September.
- Jan Pokrivcak & Christophe Crombez & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2006. "The status quo bias and reform of the Common Agricultural Policy: impact of voting rules, the European Commission and external changes," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 562-590, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:32012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.