Determinants of the performance of the schools in Medellín in the high-school graduation-year test (ICFES)
This paper analyses how the institutional processes, the school management as well as the contexts in which the school and the students are circumscribed, could impact the performance in the high-school graduation-year test (ICFES). A survey was applied with the purpose of know the actions and interactions among educative process actors. Factor Analysis and Hierarchical econometric models were used with the purpose of construct indexes and measure the impact of the considered variables. We found that school level variables, including management, explain a high percentage of the performance variability, while those constructed variables associated to student’s characteristics have a low impact. And parent human capital and the initial student conditions are much more important than the teacher human capital. Contrary to the expected, it’s not clear what kind of use and if to increase infrastructure resources favors the achievement.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.udea.edu.co/portal/page/portal/portal/A.InformacionInstitucional/H.UnidadesAcademicas/A.Facultades/CienciasEconomicasEmail: |
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Apartado Aéreo 1226, Medellín - Colombia|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hambor, John C & Phillips, Llad & Votey, Harold L, Jr, 1973. "Optimal Community Educational Attainment: A Simultaneous Equation Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 98-103, February.
- Groves, Theodore & Loeb, Martin, 1975.
"Incentives and public inputs,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 211-226, August.
- John Bishop & Ludger Wossmann, 2004.
"Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 17-38.
- John H. Bishop & Ludger Wößmann, 2001. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," Kiel Working Papers 1085, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bishop, John H. & Ludger Woessmann, 2002. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 29, Royal Economic Society.
- Bishop, John H. & Wößmann, Ludger, 2004. "Institutional effects in a simple model of educational production," Munich Reprints in Economics 20279, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bishop, John H. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2002. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," IZA Discussion Papers 484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul Glewwe & Hanan Jacoby, 1994. "Student Achievement and Schooling Choice in Low-Income Countries: Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(3), pages 843-864.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "Remuneraciones y los profesores en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 93, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Piedad Patricia Restrepo Restrepo & Mauricio Alviar Ramírez, 2004. "El logro académico y el efecto colegio en las pruebas Icfes en Antioquia," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 60, pages 67-95, Enero-Jun.
- Jairo Núñez & Roberto Steiner & Ximena Cadena & Renata Pardo, 2002.
"¿Cuáles Colegios Ofrecen Mejor Educación En Colombia?,"
003796, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jairo NUÑEZ MENDEZ & Roberto STEINER & Ximena CADENA & Renata PARDO, 2002. "¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 003795, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Carolina Ostoic & Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2004. "Equity and Achievement in the Chilean School Choice Experience," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 232, Econometric Society.
- Jeffrey Grogger, 1997. "Local Violence and Educational Attainment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(4), pages 659-682.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2007. "The role of education quality for economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4122, The World Bank.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera & Teresa Reinaga, 1999. "Factores que inciden en el rendimiento escolar en Bolivia," Documentos de Trabajo 61, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Edward Clarke, 1971. "Multipart pricing of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 17-33, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lde:grupom:048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.