Análisis de eficiencia de la educación en Colombia
This paper estimates the effect of school and student characteristics on academic performance. Using data for 2002, the paper applies stochastic frontier techniques to estimate the level of technical efficiency of a sample of 4,542 public and private schools. Our findings indicate that both school and student characteristics have a positive and significant effect on academic performance. It appears that private schools are more efficient due to a more favourable environment since, on average, they receive students from higher income families. However, assuming a similar environment, differences in efficiency levels between private and public schools tend to disappear.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Mina, 2004. "Factores Asociados Al Logro Educativo A Nivel Municipal," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002708, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-627, November.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," RCER Working Papers 397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," NBER Working Papers 5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jairo Núñez & Roberto Steiner & Ximena Cadena & Renata Pardo, 2002. "¿Cuáles Colegios Ofrecen Mejor Educación En Colombia?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003796, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jairo NUÑEZ MENDEZ & Roberto STEINER & Ximena CADENA & Renata PARDO, 2002. "¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 003795, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Roberto Steiner & Jairo Núñez M. & Ximena Cadena O. & Renata Pardo P., 2002. "¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 012943, FEDESARROLLO.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Alejandro GAVIRIA, Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS & Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS, 2001. "Determinantes de la calidad de la educación en Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002301, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Hanushek, Eric A., 2002. "Publicly provided education," Handbook of Public Economics,in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 2045-2141 Elsevier.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2002. "Publicly Provided Education," NBER Working Papers 8799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Subhash Ray & Kankana Mukherjee, 1998. "Quantity, Quality, and Efficiency for a Partially Super-Additive Cost Function: Connecticut Public Schools Revisited," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 47-62, July.
- Felipe Barrera Osorio & Alejandro Gaviria Uribe, 2003. "Efficiency of colombian schools," INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN 002436, FEDESARROLLO.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-1177, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000151:004254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Economía)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.