Análisis de eficiencia de la educación en Colombia
This paper estimates the effect of school and student characteristics on academic performance. Using data for 2002, the paper applies stochastic frontier techniques to estimate the level of technical efficiency of a sample of 4,542 public and private schools. Our findings indicate that both school and student characteristics have a positive and significant effect on academic performance. It appears that private schools are more efficient due to a more favourable environment since, on average, they receive students from higher income families. However, assuming a similar environment, differences in efficiency levels between private and public schools tend to disappear.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro GAVIRIA, Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS & Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS, 2001. "Determinantes de la calidad de la educación en Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002301, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Jairo NUÑEZ MENDEZ & Roberto STEINER & Ximena CADENA & Renata PARDO, 2002.
"¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?,"
ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA
003795, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Jairo Núñez & Roberto Steiner & Ximena Cadena & Renata Pardo, 2002. "¿Cuáles Colegios Ofrecen Mejor Educación En Colombia?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003796, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Roberto Steiner & Jairo Núñez M. & Ximena Cadena O. & Renata Pardo P., 2002. "¿Cua?les colegios ofrecen mejor educacio?n en Colombia?," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 012943, FEDESARROLLO.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2002.
"Publicly Provided Education,"
NBER Working Papers
8799, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Hanushek, Eric A & Rivkin, Steven G & Taylor, Lori L, 1996.
"Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 611-27, November.
- Hanushek, E-A & Rivkin, S-G & Taylor, L-L, 1995. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," RCER Working Papers 397, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Eric A. Hanushek & Steven G. Rivkin & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Aggregation and the Estimated Effects of School Resources," NBER Working Papers 5548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Alejandro Mina, 2004. "Factores Asociados Al Logro Educativo A Nivel Municipal," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002708, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Felipe Barrera Osorio & Alejandro Gaviria Uribe, 2003. "Efficiency of colombian schools," INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN 002436, FEDESARROLLO.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000151:004254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Economía)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.