On Substituting Consumption Taxes for Unemployment Insurance Contributions to Reduce Unemployment
The German conservative party (consisting of two sister parties) planned in case of victory in the national election on 18 September 2005 to reduce the unemployment insurance contributions by 2 percent and to finance this with an increase in the consumption tax by 2 percent. The present paper shows in a Layard-Nickell-Jackman type wage bargaining model that this tax reform does not reduce unemployment; neither in the short to medium run, nor in the long run. When there is short-to-medium-run real wage resistance, then in the short to medium run unemployment depends on the overall tax burden, but not on the composition of the tax burden. In the long run the wage setting curve is vertical and hence in the long run unemployment is even invariant of the overall tax burden.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goerke, Laszlo, 2001. "Tax Evasion in a Unionised Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 382, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber, 1997. "Wage bargaining, labor-tax progression, and welfare," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 127-150, June.
- Jochen Michaelis & Michael Pflüger, 2000. "The impact of tax reforms on unemployment in a SMOPEC," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 72(2), pages 175-201, June.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 2000. "Labour Taxation, Efficiency Wages and the Long Run," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 341-52, October.
- Koskela, E. & Schob, R., 1998.
"Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
443, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Does the composition of wage and payroll taxes matter under Nash bargaining?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 1999. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining?," Discussion Papers 203, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Creedy, John & McDonald, Ian M, 1992. "Union Wage Responses to a Shift from Direct to Indirect Taxation," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 221-32, July.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 2012.
"Macroeconomics: A European Text,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 6, number 9780199608645, March.
- Goerke, L., 1996.
"Taxes on payroll, revenues and profits in three models of collective bargaining,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9603, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1996. "Taxes on Payroll, Revenues and Profits in Three Models of Collective Bargaining," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(5), pages 549-65, November.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Picard, Pierre M & Toulemonde, Eric, 2001.
"On the Equivalence of Taxes Paid by Employers and Employees,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(4), pages 461-70, September.
- Picard, P.M. & Toulemonde, E., 1999. "On the Equivalence of Taxes Paid by Employers and Employees," Papers 215, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Pierre Picard & Eric Toulemonde, 2000. "Taxation and Labor Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0707, Econometric Society.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Carlin, Wendy & Soskice, David, 2005. "Macroeconomics: Imperfections, Institutions, and Policies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198776222, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2005_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.