It is often argued that the quantity which is traded on the market is independent of the side of the market which is taxed. However, this assertion need not hold, especially in imperfectly competitive markets like that for labour. Taking an efficiency wage economy as an example, it is shown that the legal incidence of social security contributions will affect the economic incidence if unemployment compensation is subject to social security contributions. Since this is the case in numerous OECD countries, the wedge between producer costs and the net wage might be an inappropriate device for measuring the impact of social security contributions on wages and employment.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1999|
|Publication status:||published in: Manchester School, 2000, 68(5), 608-623; see IZA Reprints 59/00|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pemberton, James, 1992. "Taxation and Wage Bargaining," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 68(203), pages 318-327, December.
- Rasmussen, Bo Sandemann, 1998. "Long run effects of employment and payroll taxes in an efficiency wage model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 245-253, February.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Michael Hoel, 1990. "Efficiency wages and income taxes," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 89-99, February.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1999. "Efficiency Wages and Taxes," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Manning, Alan, 1990. "Imperfect Competition, Multiple Equilibria and Unemployment Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 151-162, Supplemen.
- Koskela, E. & Schob, R., 1998.
"Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
443, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Does the composition of wage and payroll taxes matter under Nash bargaining?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb, 1999. "Does the Composition of Wage and Payroll Taxes Matter Under Nash Bargaining?," Discussion Papers 203, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Jaakko Kiander & Pasi Holm & Erkki Koskela, 1995. "Unions, Labour supply and Structure of Taxation: Equal Tax Bases," Discussion Papers 110, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B., 1996. "A note on the long-run properties of the shirking model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 189-195, September.
- Pisauro, Giuseppe, 1991. "The effect of taxes on labour in efficiency wage models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 329-345, December.
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1999. "Value-added Tax versus Social Security Contributions," IZA Discussion Papers 55, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bean, C R & Layard, P R G & Nickell, S J, 1986. "The Rise in Unemployment: A Multi-country Study," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages 1-22, Supplemen.
- Goerke Laszlo, 1999. "Value-added Tax versus Social Security Contributions / Mehrwertsteuer oder Sozialversicherungsabgaben," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 219(3-4), pages 308-325, June.
- Blinder, Alan S, 1988.
"The Challenge of High Unemployment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 1-15, May.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp71. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.