Earnings-Related Severance Pay
In an efficiency wage economy, lump-sum severance pay from which shirkers can be excluded raises employment. However, severance payments are usually related to wages. It is shown that earnings-related, mandated severance pay will have ambiguous employment effects if effort can be varied continuously. A substitution of the earnings-related for the lump-sum component reduces employment. Thus, the prevalent form of severance payments in OECD countries might have less advantageous employment effects than previously conjectured.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Labour, 2006, 20 (4), 651-672|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Galdon-Sanchez, Jose & Guell, Maia, 2003.
"Dismissal conflicts and unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 323-335, April.
- José Enrique Galdón Sánchez & Maia Güell, 2001. "Dismissal conflicts and unemployment," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0105, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1995:i:37-38:p:04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sanfey, Peter J, 1995. " Insiders and Outsiders in Union," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 255-84.
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan Van Ours, 2007.
"Welfare-Improving Employment Protection,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 381-396, 08.
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan van Ours, 2004. "Welfare Improving Employment Protection," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_004, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Boone, J. & van Ours, J.C., 2007. "Welfare improving employment protection," Other publications TiSEM eee2f823-1384-4a2f-a4eb-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Chang, Juin-Jen & Lin, Chung-Cheng & Lai, Ching-Chong, 1999. "The Unemployment and Wage Effects of Shifting to an Indirect Tax in an Efficiency Wage Model," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(229), pages 156-66, June.
- Samuel Bentolila & Giuseppe Bertola, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 1997. "Taxes in an efficiency wage economy," Discussion Papers, Series II 335, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Chatrerji, Monojit & Sparks, Roger, 1991. "Real wages, productivity, and the cycle: An efficiency wage model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 495-510.
- Assar Lindbeck & Dennis J. Snower, 2001. "Insiders versus Outsiders," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 165-188, Winter.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Violante, Giovanni L, 2004.
"The Employment Effects of Severance Payments with Wage Rigidities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4608, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Giovanni L. Violante, 2005. "The Employment Effects of Severance Payments with Wage Rigidities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 799-832, October.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1985. "A Near-Rational Model of the Business Cycle, with Wage and Price Inertia," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(Supplemen), pages 823-838.
- Carter, Thomas J., 1998. "Minimum wage laws: what does an employment increase imply about output and welfare?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 473-485, September.
- Michael Hoel, 1990. "Efficiency wages and income taxes," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 89-99, February.
- Lockwood, Ben & Manning, Alan, 1993. "Wage setting and the tax system theory and evidence for the United Kingdom," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-29, August.
- Burda, Michael C, 1992. " A Note on Firing Costs and Severance Benefits in Equilibrium Unemployment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(3), pages 479-89.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 2002. "On dismissal pay," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 497-512, September.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Employment protection," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 131-159, May.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1999. "Microeconomic perspectives on aggregate labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 45, pages 2985-3028 Elsevier.
- Fella, Giulio, 2000. "Efficiency wage and efficient redundancy pay," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1473-1490, August.
- Pisauro, Giuseppe, 1991. "The effect of taxes on labour in efficiency wage models," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 329-345, December.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.