On Trade Policy Reform and the Missing Revenue: an Application to Mozambique
In many developing countries, large discrepancies exist between revenues implied by published tariff rates multiplied by estimated import volumes and actual receipts. We develop a stylized trade model where average and marginal tariff rates diverge and incorporate insights from this model into a computable general equilibrium model of Mozambique to study the implications of trade policy reform. Model simulations indicate that lowering tariff rates and reducing duty free importation in a manner that maintains official revenue benefits nearly everyone with the main exception being those, who benefited from duty free imports in the base.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burgess, Robin & Stern, Nicholas, 1993. "Taxation and Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 762-830, June.
- Fontana, Marzia & Wood, Adrian, 2000. "Modeling the Effects of Trade on Women, at Work and at Home," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1173-1190, July.
- John McLaren, 1996. "Corruption, Black Markets, and the Fiscal Problem in LDCs: Some Recent Findings," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(4), pages 491-502, Fall.
- Elbehri, Aziz & Ken Pearson, 2000. "Implementing Bilateral Tariff Rate Quotas in GTAP using GEMPACK," GTAP Technical Papers 475, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Tarp, Finn & Arndt, Channing & Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Heltberg, Rasmus, 2002. "Facing the development challenge in Mozambique: an economywide perspective," Research reports 126, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pitt, Mark M., 1981. "Smuggling and price disparity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 447-458, November.
- McLaren, John, 1998. "Black Markets and Optimal Evadable Taxation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 665-79, May.
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2002. "CGE Modelling and Trade Policy: Reassessing The Agricultural Bias," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 383-405.
- Pritchett, Lant & Sethi, Geeta, 1994.
"Tariff Rates, Tariff Revenue, and Tariff Reform: Some New Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Pritchett, Lant & Sethi, Geeta, 1993. "Tariff rates, tariff revenue, and tariff reform : some new facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1143, The World Bank.
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 2000. "Agricultural Technology, Risk, and Gender: A CGE Analysis of Mozambique," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1307-1326, July.
- Devaragan, Shantayanan & Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Robinson, Sherman, 1990. "Policy lessons from trade-focused, two-sector models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 625-657.
- L Alan Winters, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Economic Performance: An Overview," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F4-F21, 02.
- Arndt, Channing & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 2002.
"Parameter estimation for a computable general equilibrium model: a maximum entropy approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 375-398, May.
- Arndt, Channing & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Parameter estimation for a computable general equilibrium model: a maximum entropy approach," TMD discussion papers 40, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bliss, Christopher, 1992. "The Design of Fiscal Reforms in Revenue-Constrained Developing Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 940-51, July.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.