Tariff Rates, Tariff Revenue, and Tariff Reform: Some New Facts
This article compares the statutory ad valorem tariff rates (official rates) with the ratio of tariff revenues to import values (collected rates) for Jamaica, Kenya, and Pakistan. It identifies four general features of the tariff codes, considers whether these features apply to all developing countries and discusses four implications of these features for tariff reform. First, the collected rate for any given item in the tariff code is only weakly related to the official rate for that item. Second, the variation of collected rates around the official rate increases with the level of the official rate. Third, the collected rates, on average, increease much less than the official rates. Fourth, the relation between official rates and collecte drates in nonlinear, because the slope is lower at higher levels of the official rate. Copyright 1994 by Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julio Nogues & Sunil Gulati, 1994. "Economic Policies and Performance Under Alternative Trade Regimes: Latin America During the 1980s," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 467-496, 07.
- Mitra, Pradeep, 1992. "The Coordinated Reform of Tariffs and Indirect Taxes," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 195-218, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbecrv:v:8:y:1994:i:1:p:1-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.