Agricultural Technology and Marketing Margins in Vietnam
This paper analyses the potential distributional impact and synergy effects from simultaneous improvements in agricultural sector productivity and reductions in trade and transportation margins. Two separate models are established to analyse (i) the interaction between agricultural technology and aggregate marketing margins in a Vietnamese context, and (ii) the relative importance of trade margins and transportation margins in explaining the importance of aggregate margins. The results show that a reduction in marketing margins is not a necessary complement for agricultural technology improvements to target welfare gains for rural households. Nevertheless, it remains a desirable complement since (i) it will allow for the reaping of significant synergy gains from interaction with agricultural productivity growth, and (ii) it will increase the targeting potential of agricultural productivity growth in terms of welfare improvements for poor rural households. Finally, the results show that a reduction in trade margins is a very potent instrument for reaping of synergy effects and targeting of rural household welfare. In contrast, transportation margins appear to be a surprisingly impotent instrument in these regards. 1
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarp Jensen, Henning & Tarp, Finn, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: A Methodological Innovation in Vietnamese Perspective,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2005. "Trade Liberalization and Spatial Inequality: a Methodological Innovation in a Vietnamese Perspective," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 69-86, 02.
- C. Arndt & H.T. Jensen & S. Robinson & F. Tarp, 2000.
"Marketing Margins and Agricultural Technology in Mozambique,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 121-137, October.
- Arndt, Channing & Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Marketing margins and agricultural technology in Mozambique:," TMD discussion papers 43, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Devaragan, Shantayanan & Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Robinson, Sherman, 1990. "Policy lessons from trade-focused, two-sector models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 625-657.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.