Determinants of Internationalisation – Do they Differ among Sectors and Business Functions? Evidence from Firm-level Data
The relevance of services FDI strongly increased over the last two decades. As goods and services differ with respect to important characteristics, one may expect that the determinants of internationalisation are not identical in manufacturing and the service sector. However, there is practically no firm-level research contrasting the two sectors in this respect. In order to fill this gap, we seek to identify for manufacturing and services, firstly, the determinants of a firm’s propensity to go international (exports and/or foreign direct investment) and, secondly, the factors determining the complexity of a firm’s direct foreign activities in terms of business functions. We find that an OLI-based model can be used to explain not only the propensity to go intenational but also differences between two specific forms of direct foreign investment for both the manufacturing and the service sector.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumit K. Kundu & Vikas Kumar & Susan D. Peters, 2008. "Impact of ownership and location factors on service multinationals' internalisation," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 567-580, June.
- J R Brown & C S Dev & Z Zhou, 2003. "Broadening the foreign market entry mode decision: separating ownership and control," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(5), pages 473-488, September.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010.
"Does FDI in manufacturing cause FDI in business services? Evidence from French firm-level data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 180-203, February.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007. "Does FDI in Manufacturing Cause FDI in Business Services? Evidence from French Firm-Level Data," Working Papers 2007-21, CEPII research center.
- Guerrieri, Paolo & Meliciani, Valentina, 2005. "Technology and international competitiveness: The interdependence between manufacturing and producer services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 489-502, December.
- Ursacki, Terry & Vertinsky, Ilan, 1992. "Choice of entry timing and scale by foreign banks in Japan and Korea," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 405-421, April.
- A. Jaklič & J. Ćirjaković & A. Chidlow, 2012. "Exploring the effects of international sourcing on manufacturing versus service firms," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 1193-1207, January.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Fabrice Hatem & Loriane Py, 2009. "Internationalisation et localisation des services : une analyse sectorielle et fonctionnelle appliquée aux firmes multinationales en Europe," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 426(1), pages 67-95.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu, 1998. "Modal Choice in a World of Alliances: Analyzing Organizational Forms in the International Hotel Sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 325-356, June.
- Fidel Le�n-Darder & Cristina Villar-García & José Pla-Barber, 2010. "Entry mode choice in the internationalisation of the hotel industry: a holistic approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(1), pages 107-122, April.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Cristina Villar & José Pla-Barber & Fidel Le�n-Darder, 2012. "Service characteristics as moderators of the entry mode choice: empirical evidence in the hotel industry," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 1137-1148, January.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu & Chin-Chun Hsu, 2003. "A three-stage theory of international expansion: the link between multinationality and performance in the service sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 5-18, January.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Vern Terpstra & Chwo-Ming Yu, 1988. "Determinants of Foreign Investment of U.S. Advertising Agencies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Lin, Feng-Jyh, 2010. "The determinants of foreign direct investment in China: The case of Taiwanese firms in the IT industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(5), pages 479-485, May.
- Anna Lejpras, 2009. "Determinants of Internationalization: Differences between Service and Manufacturing SMEs," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 886, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anthony Goerzen & Shige Makino, 2007. "Multinational corporation internationalization in the service sector: a study of Japanese trading companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1149-1169, December.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2005. "Determinants of International Activities: Are SMEs Different?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 431-450, 06.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2010. "The internationalization of firms in the service industries: channels, determinants and sectoral patterns," MPRA Paper 26548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:13-348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.