Who Starts with Open Source? Institutional Choice of Start-Ups in the German ICT Sector
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Michael Fritsch & Alexandra Schroeter, 2009. "Are More Start-Ups Really Better? Quantity and Quality of New Businesses and Their Effect on Regional Development," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-070, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Harison, Elad & Koski, Heli, 2010. "Applying open innovation in business strategies: Evidence from Finnish software firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-359, April.
- Sebastian von Engelhardt, 2008. "Intellectual Property Rights and Ex-Post Transaction Costs: the Case of Open and Closed Source Software," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-047, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Elad Harison & Robin Cowan, 2004. "On substitution of intellectual property and free disclosure: an analysis of R&D strategies in software technologies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(5), pages 477-487.
- Dahlander, Linus & Wallin, Martin W., 2006. "A man on the inside: Unlocking communities as complementary assets," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1243-1259, October.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Sanandaji, Tino, 2011.
"The interaction of entrepreneurship and institutions,"
Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 47-75, March.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Sanandaji, Tino, 2010. "The Interaction of Entrepreneurship and Institutions," Working Paper Series 830, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990.
"A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-294, April.
- Holmes, T.J. & Schmitz, J.A., 1988. "A Theory Of Enterpreneurship And Its Application To The Study Of Business Transfers," Working papers 8827, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Kristina Nyström, 2008.
"The institutions of economic freedom and entrepreneurship: evidence from panel data,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 269-282, September.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2008. "The Institutions of Economic Freedom and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Panel Data," Ratio Working Papers 114, The Ratio Institute.
- Andrew Burke & Stuart Fraser, 2005. "The Impact of Intellectual Property Rights on Self-Employed Entrepreneurship: an International Analysis," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-13, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Henrekson, Magnus, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and Institutions," Working Paper Series 707, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Zoltan Acs & Sameeksha Desai & Jolanda Hessels, 2008. "Entrepreneurship, economic development and institutions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 219-234, October.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Engelhardt, Sebastian v. & Freytag, Andreas, 2013. "Institutions, culture, and open source," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 90-110.
- Sebastian von Engelhardt, 2010. "Quality Competition or Quality Cooperation? License-Type and the Strategic Nature of Open Source vs. Closed Source Business Models," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-034, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Naudé, Wim, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship is Not a Binding Constraint on Growth and Development in the Poorest Countries,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 33-44, January.
- Wim Naudé, 2009. "Entrepreneurship is not a Binding Constraint on Growth and Development in the Poorest Countries," WIDER Working Paper Series RP2009-45, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Julita E. Wasilczuk & Katarzyna Stankiewicz, 2017. "Unproductive Entrepreneurship - The Case Of The Polish Economy," GUT FME Working Paper Series A 45, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
- Wyrwich, Michael, 2013. "Can socioeconomic heritage produce a lost generation with regard to entrepreneurship?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 667-682.
- Jolanda Hessels & Marco Gelderen & Roy Thurik, 2008. "Entrepreneurial aspirations, motivations, and their drivers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 323-339, October.
- Concepción Román & Emilio Congregado & José Millán, 2011. "Dependent self-employment as a way to evade employment protection legislation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 363-392, October.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Piva, Evila & Rossi-Lamastra, Cristina, 2014. "Open innovation and within-industry diversification in small and medium enterprises: The case of open source software firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 891-902.
- Estrin, Saul & Korosteleva, Julia & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2013.
"Which institutions encourage entrepreneurial growth aspirations?,"
Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 564-580.
- Saul Estrin & Julia Korosteleva & Tomasz Marek Mickiewicz, 2012. "Which Institutions Encourage Entrepreneurial Growth Aspirations?," UCL SSEES Economics and Business working paper series 119, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES).
- Adrián Kovács & Bart Looy & Bruno Cassiman, 2015. "Exploring the scope of open innovation: a bibliometric review of a decade of research," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 104(3), pages 951-983, September.
- Ali Hussein Samadi, 2019. "Institutions and entrepreneurship: unidirectional or bidirectional causality?," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Springer;UNESCO Chair in Entrepreneurship, vol. 9(1), pages 1-16, December.
- Niranjan Chipalkatti & Jonathan P. Doh & Meenakshi Rishi, 2011. "Institutional quality, knowledge spillovers and entrepreneurship," International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 307-329.
- Emanuela Carbonara & Hien Thu Tran & Enrico Santarelli, 2020.
"Determinants of novice, portfolio, and serial entrepreneurship: an occupational choice approach,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 123-151, June.
- Tran, Hien Thu & Carbonara, Emanuela & Santarelli, Enrico, 2017. "Determinants of Novice, Portfolio and Serial Entrepreneurship: An Occupational Choice Approach," GLO Discussion Paper Series 74, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Emilio Congregado & Vicente Esteve & Antonio A. Golpe, 2013.
"From complements to substitutes: Structural breaks in the elasticity of substitution between paid-employment and self-employment in the US,"
1319, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Emilio Congregado & Vicente Esteve & Antonio A. Golpe, 2013. "From complements to substitutes: Structural breaks in the elasticity of substitution between paidemployment and self-employment in the US," Working Papers 09/13, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Robin Douhan & Magnus Henrekson, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and second-best institutions: going beyond Baumol’s typology,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 629-643, August.
- Douhan, Robin & Henrekson, Magnus, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Second-best Institutions: Going Beyond Baumol’s Typology," Working Paper Series 766, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 27 Aug 2009.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Stenkula, Mikael, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Public Policy," Working Paper Series 804, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Farzana Chowdhury & Siri Terjesen & David Audretsch, 2015. "Varieties of entrepreneurship: institutional drivers across entrepreneurial activity and country," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 121-148, August.
- Túlio Cravo & Adrian Gourlay & Bettina Becker, 2012. "SMEs and regional economic growth in Brazil," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 217-230, February.
- Bylund, Per L. & McCaffrey, Matthew, 2017. "A theory of entrepreneurship and institutional uncertainty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 461-475.
- Gani, Azmat & Clemes, Michael D., 2013. "Modeling the effect of the domestic business environment on services trade," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 297-304.
More about this item
KeywordsNew business formation; institutions; open source; intellectual property rights; software industry;
All these keywords.
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, Operations, and Impact
- L17 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Open Source Products and Markets
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BEC-2010-08-21 (Business Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2010-08-21 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EUR-2010-08-21 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2010-08-21 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2010-08-21 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-MIC-2010-08-21 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-SBM-2010-08-21 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2010-049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.wiwiss.uni-jena.de/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Markus Pasche (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.wiwiss.uni-jena.de/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.