When Banana Import Restrictions Lead to Exports: A Tale of Cyclones and Quarantine Policies
This paper examines the welfare loss of import restrictions on bananas in Australia and whether the import restrictions have turned into a particular form of export promotion. We set up a model in which there is free domestic entry, with banana producers accepting losses in normal years, off-set by large profits in years when cyclones destroy a large proportion of the banana plants because of sufficiently low elasticity of demand. Using the cyclones of 2006 and 2011 as exogenous events, we identify the elasticity of demand for bananas in Australia to be around -0.5. We indeed find limited evidence for an ‘over-shooting’ in terms of the supply response after these cyclones, leading to positive exports years after cyclones have hit and re-planted banana plants have become productive. Combining the elasticity estimates with information on turnover, we get an estimated welfare loss of 600 million dollars per year due to banana import restrictions.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reza Oladi & John Gilbert, 2011.
"Monopolistic Competition and North–South Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 459-474, 08.
- Reza Oladi & John Gilbert, 2011. "Monopolistic Competition and North-South Trade," Working Papers 201101, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Reza Oladi & John Gilbert, 2011. "Monopolistic Competition and North-South Trade," Working Papers 2011-01, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Garcia Pires, Armando J., 2013. "Home market effects with endogenous costs of production," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 47-58.
- Armando Garcia Pires, 2012. "International trade and competitiveness," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 50(3), pages 727-763, August.
- Blazy, Jean-Marc & Carpentier, Alain & Thomas, Alban, 2011. "The willingness to adopt agro-ecological innovations: Application of choice modelling to Caribbean banana planters," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 140-150.
- Jean-Marc Blazy & Alain Carpentier & Alban Thomas, 2011. "The willingness to adopt agro-ecological innovations: application of choice modelling to Caribbean banana planters," Post-Print hal-01462636, HAL.
- Anke Leroux & Donald Maclaren, 2011. "The Optimal Time to Remove Quarantine Bans Under Uncertainty: The Case of Australian Bananas," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 87(276), pages 140-152, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7988. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.