Do House Prices Affect Consumption? A Re-assessment of the Wealth Hypothesis
This paper undertakes a comparison exercise to disentangle what drives the opposite findings regarding the effect of house prices on consumption documented in two papers using the same data set for the UK. On the one hand, Campbell and Cocco (2007) find that old owners are the most benefited by a house price increase and young renters the least, confirming the so-called wealth hypothesis. On the other hand, Attanasio, Blow, Hamilton, and Leicester (2009) find that house prices have the same impact on consumption across age groups, consistent with the so-called common factor hypothesis. First, we confirm that the findings in both papers can be reproduced. Second, we rule out a number of potential reasons related to the basic data construction, and provide evidence that the functional form (i.e., an Euler equation of consumption vs. a reduced form life-cycle model) and not data aggregation considerations (household level data vs. synthetic cohort data) may be at the root of the conflicting results in the two papers. Our findings revive the debate of whether there is an effect of house prices on consumption.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Publication status:||published in: Economica, 2014, 81, 601-625.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & Alexander Michaelides & Kalin Nikolov, 2011.
"Winners and Losers in Housing Markets,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 255-296, 03.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & Alexander Michaelides & Kalin Nikolov, 2007. " Winners and Losers in Housing Markets," CDMA Conference Paper Series 0705, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Michaelides, Alexander & Nikolov, Kalin, 2010. "Winners and Losers in Housing Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 7953, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Christina H. Paxson, 2001. "Approximation Bias In Linearized Euler Equations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 242-256, May.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Christina H. Paxson, 1997. "Approximation bias in linearized Euler equations," Research Paper 9712, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sydney Ludvigson & Christina H. Paxson, 1999. "Approximation Bias in Linearized Euler Equations," NBER Technical Working Papers 0236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2012. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 409-425, March.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2010. "The Effects of Financial and Real Wealth on Consumption: New Evidence from OECD Countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 38, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2011. "The effects of financial and real wealth on consumption: new evidence from OECD countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 837, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Hryshko, Dmytro & José Luengo-Prado, María & Sørensen, Bent E., 2010. "House prices and risk sharing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 975-987, November.
- Maria Jose Luengo-Prado & Bent E. Sorensen & Dmytro Hryshko, 2009. "House Prices and Risk Sharing," 2009 Meeting Papers 234, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dmytro Hryshko & María José Luengo-Prado. & Bent E. Sørensen, 2009. "House prices and risk sharing," New England Public Policy Center Working Paper 09-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Dmytro Hryshko & María José Luengo-Prado & Bent E. Sørensen, 2010. "House prices and risk sharing," Working Papers 2010-17, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Hryshko, Dmytro & Luengo-Prado, Maria & Sorensen, Bent, 2010. "House Prices and Risk Sharing," Working Papers 2010-16, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Hryshko, Dmytro & Luengo-Prado, Maria Jose & Sørensen, Bent E, 2010. "House Prices and Risk Sharing," CEPR Discussion Papers 7894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Disney & John Gathergood & Andrew Henley, 2010. "House Price Shocks, Negative Equity, and Household Consumption in the United Kingdom," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(6), pages 1179-1207, December.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Laura Blow & Robert Hamilton & Andrew Leicester, 2009. "Booms and Busts: Consumption, House Prices and Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 20-50, 02.
- Orazio Attanasio & Laura Blow & Robert Hamilton & Andrew Leicester, 2005. "Booms and busts: consumption, house prices and expectations," IFS Working Papers W05/24, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Søren Leth-Petersen, 2010. "Intertemporal Consumption and Credit Constraints: Does Total Expenditure Respond to an Exogenous Shock to Credit?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 1080-1103, June.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-543, May.
- Ludwig, Alexander & Sløk, Torsten, 2004. "The relationship between stock prices, house prices and consumption in OECD," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-12, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Ludwig, Alexander & Slok, Torsten, 2004. "The relationship between stock prices, house prices and consumption in OECD," Papers 04-12, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Martin Browning & Mette Gørtz & Søren Leth‐Petersen, 2013. "Housing Wealth and Consumption: A Micro Panel Study," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 0, pages 401-428, 05. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)