Self-Employed Immigrants in Denmark and Sweden: A Way to Economic Self-Reliance?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000. "Self-employment in OECD countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Bruce D. Meyer, 1996.
"Ethnic and Racial Self-Employment Differences and Possible Explanations,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(4), pages 757-793.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014. "Ethnic and Racial Self-Employment Differences and Possible Explanations," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt24p7v6gc, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-748, August.
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1989. "Consumer Discrimination and Self-employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 581-605, June.
- Jensen, Kraen Blume & Ejrnaes, Mette & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Würtz, Allan, "undated". "Self-Employment among Immigrants: A Last Resort?," Economics Working Papers 2003-13, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Moore, Robert L, 1983. "Employer Discrimination: Evidence from Self-Employed Workers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 496-501, August.
- George J. Borjas, 1986. "The Self-Employment Experience of Immigrants," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(4), pages 485-506.
- Clark, Kenneth & Drinkwater, Stephen, 2000. "Pushed out or pulled in? Self-employment among ethnic minorities in England and Wales," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 603-628, September.
- Blume, Kraen & Gustafsson, Bjorn & Pedersen, Peder J. & Verner, Mette, 2003. "A Tale of Two Countries: Poverty among Immigrants in Denmark and Sweden since 1984," WIDER Working Paper Series 036, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lindh, Thomas & Ohlsson, Henry, 1996. "Self-Employment and Windfall Gains: Evidence from the Swedish Lottery," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1515-1526, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2004. "Self-Employment: More may not be better," NBER Working Papers 10286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cui, Yuling & Nahm, Daehoon & Tani, Massimiliano, 2013. "Self-Employment in China: Are Rural Migrant Workers and Urban Residents Alike?," IZA Discussion Papers 7191, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2006. "Employees Who Become Self-Employed: Do Labour Income and Wages Have an Impact?," IZA Discussion Papers 1971, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tüzin Baycan-Levent & Peter Nijkamp, 2009.
"Characteristics of migrant entrepreneurship in Europe,"
Entrepreneurship & Regional Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 375-397, July.
- Baycan-Levent, Tuzin & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007. "Characteristics Of Migrant Entrepreneurship In Europe," Serie Research Memoranda 0014, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Tüzin Baycan-Levent & Peter Nijkamp, 2010.
"Migrant Entrepreneurship in a Diverse Europe: In Search of Sustainable Development,"
Chapters,in: The Sustainability of Cultural Diversity, chapter 16
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Baycan-Levent, Tuzin & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007. "Migrant Entrepreneurship In A Diverse Europe: In Search Of Sustainable Development," Serie Research Memoranda 0011, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2004. "Why Do Self-Employed Immigrants in Denmark and Sweden Have Such Low Incomes?," IZA Discussion Papers 1280, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Lofstrom, Magnus, 2013.
"Immigration and Entrepreneurship,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7669, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fairlie, Robert, 2015. "Immigration and Entrepreneurship," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6945t95k, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Magnus Lofstrom, 2015. "Immigration and Entrepreneurship," CESifo Working Paper Series 5298, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2004. "Other Forms of Employment: Temporary Employment Agencies and Self-Employment," IZA Discussion Papers 1166, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marcus H. Böhme & Sarah Kups, 2017. "The economic effects of labour immigration in developing countries: A literature review," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 335, OECD Publishing.
- Nekby, Lena, 2008. "Active labor market programs for the integration of youths and immigrants into the labor market: the Nordic experience," Macroeconomía del Desarrollo 73, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Horemans, Jeroen & Marx, Ive, 2017. "Poverty and Material Deprivation among the Self-Employed in Europe: An Exploration of a Relatively Uncharted Landscape," IZA Discussion Papers 11007, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
More about this item
Keywordsimmigrant workers; self-employment;
- J15 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Minorities, Races, Indigenous Peoples, and Immigrants; Non-labor Discrimination
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2004-05-09 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2004-05-09 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.