Self-Employment among Immigrants: A Last Resort?
Based on unique register data of male immigrants in Denmark, we investigate whether self-employment is used as a last resort. To identify self-employment as a last resort, we define different types of immigrants as a function of transition probabilities between wage-employment, non-employment and self-employment. The transition probabilities are estimated using discrete competing risks models controlling for unobserved heterogeneity and duration dependence. We find that for certain groups of immigrants a large fraction can be characterized as using self-employment as a last resort.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (45) 35 32 30 74
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/CAM/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svarer, Michael, "undated". "Determinants of Divorce in Denmark," Economics Working Papers 2002-19, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Skott, Peter, 2005.
"Fairness as a source of hysteresis in employment and relative wages,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 305-331, July.
- Peter Skott, 2004. "Fairness as a source of hysteresis in employment and relative wages," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2004-04, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Skott, Peter, "undated". "Fairness as a source of hysteresis in employment and relative wages," Economics Working Papers 2003-6, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Andersen, Torben M., "undated". "The Macroeconomic Policy Mix in a Monetary Union with Flexible Inflation Targeting," Economics Working Papers 2003-2, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Holler, Manfred & Skott, Peter, "undated". "The importance of setting the agenda," Economics Working Papers 2003-8, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Dell'Anno, Roberto, "undated". "Estimating the Shadow Economy in Italy: a Structural Equation Approach," Economics Working Papers 2003-7, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuieca:2003_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.