Self-Employment: More may not be better
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Irwin Bernhardt, 1994. "Comparative Advantage in Self-Employment and Paid Work," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 273-289, May.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000. "Self-employment in OECD countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 1972. "Racial Discrimination and Trade Unionism," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages 435-464, May-June.
- Timothy Bates, 1998. "Exiting Self-Employment: An Analysis of Asian Immigrant-Owned Small Businesses," Working Papers 98-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Timothy Bates, 1989. "The changing nature of minority business: A comparative analysis of asian, nonminority, and black-owned businesses," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer;National Economic Association, vol. 18(2), pages 25-42, September.
- Matthias Benz & Bruno S. Frey, "undated". "The Value of Autonomy: Evidence from the Self-Employed in 23 Countries," IEW - Working Papers 173, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Black, Jane & de Meza, David & Jeffreys, David, 1996. "House Price, the Supply of Collateral and the Enterprise Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 60-75, January.
- Andersson Joona, Pernilla & Wadensjö, Eskil, 2004. "Self-Employed Immigrants in Denmark and Sweden: A Way to Economic Self-Reliance?," IZA Discussion Papers 1130, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Shadforth, Chris, 2007. "Entrepreneurship in the UK," Foundations and Trends(R) in Entrepreneurship, now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 257-364, July.
- Åstebro, Thomas & Chen, Jing, 2014.
"The entrepreneurial earnings puzzle: Mismeasurement or real?,"
Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 88-105.
- Thomas B. Astebro & Jing Chen, 2014. "The entrepreneurial earnings puzzle: Mismeasurement or real?," Post-Print hal-00829057, HAL.
- Cui, Yuling & Nahm, Daehoon & Tani, Massimiliano, 2013. "Self-Employment in China: Are Rural Migrant Workers and Urban Residents Alike?," IZA Discussion Papers 7191, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Christofides, Louis N. & Pashardes, Panos, 2002. "Self/paid-employment, public/private sector selection, and wage differentials," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 737-762, December.
- Cueto, Begona & Pruneda, Gabriel, 2015. "Job Satisfaction of Wage and Self-Employed workers. Do preferences make a difference?," MPRA Paper 65432, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephan, Ute & Tavares, Susana M. & Carvalho, Helena & Ramalho, Joaquim J.S. & Santos, Susana C. & van Veldhoven, Marc, 2020. "Self-employment and eudaimonic well-being: Energized by meaning, enabled by societal legitimacy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 35(6).
- Falco, Paolo & Maloney, William F. & Rijkers, Bob & Sarrias, Mauricio, 2015.
"Heterogeneity in subjective wellbeing: An application to occupational allocation in Africa,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 137-153.
- Paolo Falco & William F. Maloney & Bob Rijkers & Mauricio Sarrias, 2010. "Heterogeneity in Subjective Wellbeing: An Application to Occupational Allocation in Africa," Documentos CEDE 010494, Universidad de los Andes â€“ Facultad de Economía â€“ CEDE.
- Falco, Paolo & Maloney, William F. & Rijkers, Bob & Sarrias, Mauricio, 2012. "Heterogeneity in Subjective Wellbeing: An Application to Occupational Allocation in Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 7057, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Falco, Paolo & Maloney, William F. & Rijkers, Bob & Sarrias, Mauricio, 2012. "Heterogeneity in subjective wellbeing : an application to occupational allocation in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6244, The World Bank.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth - past experience, current knowledge and policy implications,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
224, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth – Past experiences, current knowledge and policy implications," Working Papers 2010:2, Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum.
- Tåg, Joacim & Åstebro, Thomas & Thompson, Peter, 2016. "Hierarchies and entrepreneurship," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 129-147.
- Giuliano Guerra & Roberto Patuelli, 2016.
"The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Selfâ€“Employment,"
Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 40(3), pages 543-571, May.
- Giuliano Guerra, 2011. "The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment," Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano 1201, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Giuliano Guerra & Roberto Patuelli, 2012. "The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment," Working Paper series 63_12, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2014.
- G. Guerra & R. Patuelli, 2012. "The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment," Working Papers wp849, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 2003.
"Discrimination in the Small-Business Credit Market,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 930-943, November.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 1998. "Discrimination in the Small Business Credit Market," NBER Working Papers 6840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Altin Vejsiu, 2011. "Incentives to self-employment decision in Sweden," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 379-403.
- Petrik Runst, 2011. "Post-Socialist Culture and Entrepreneurship," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 373, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Harding, John P. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 2017. "Homeownership, housing capital gains and self-employment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(C), pages 120-135.
- Shashwati Banerjee & Kishor Goswami, 2020. "Self-employed or Paid Employed: Who can Earn more among the Slum Dwellers and Why?," Progress in Development Studies, , vol. 20(1), pages 7-25, January.
- David Blanchflower, 2009.
"Minority self-employment in the United States and the impact of affirmative action programs,"
Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 361-396, June.
- David G. Blanchflower, 2008. "Minority Self-Employment in the United States and the Impact of Affirmative Action Programs," NBER Working Papers 13972, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Lofstrom, Magnus, 2013.
"Immigration and Entrepreneurship,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7669, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Fairlie, Robert, 2015. "Immigration and Entrepreneurship," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6945t95k, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Magnus Lofstrom, 2015. "Immigration and Entrepreneurship," CESifo Working Paper Series 5298, CESifo.
- Pham, Tho & Talavera, Oleksandr & Zhang, Mao, 2018.
"Self-employment, financial development, and well-being: Evidence from China, Russia, and Ukraine,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 754-769.
- Tho Pham & Oleksandr Talavera & Mao Zhang, 2018. "Self-employment, financial development and well-being: Evidence from China, Russia and Ukraine," Working Papers 2018-03, Swansea University, School of Management.
- David Cuberes & Sadia Priyanka & Marc Teignier, 2019.
"The determinants of entrepreneurship gender gaps: A cross‐country analysis,"
Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 72-101, February.
- Marc Teignier Baque & David Cuberes & Sadia Priyanka, 2017. "The determinants of Entrepreneurship Gender Gaps: A cross-country Analysis," UB Economics Working Papers 2017/368, Universitat de Barcelona, Facultat d'Economia i Empresa, UB School of Economics.
- Williams, Donald R., 2012.
"Gender discrimination and self-employment dynamics in Europe,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 153-158.
- WILLIAMS Donald R., 2009. "Gender Discrimination and Self-Employment Dynamics in Europe," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-20, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
More about this item
- J4 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENT-2004-07-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2004-02-08 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2004-07-04 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:10286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.