Political Activism as a Determinant of Clientelistic Transfers: Evidence from an Indian Public Works Program
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Chau, Nancy H. & Liu, Yanyan & Soundararajan, Vidhya, 2017. "Political activism as a determinant of clientelistic transfers: Evidence from an Indian public works program:," IFPRI discussion papers 1700, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
References listed on IDEAS
- Wright, Gavin, 1974. "The Political Economy of New Deal Spending: An Econometric Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 30-38, February.
- Bates, Robert H & Collier, Paul, 1995. "The Politics and Economics of Policy Reform in Zambia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 4(1), pages 115-143, May.
- Leonard Wantchekon, 2003. "Clientelism and voting behavior: Evidence from a field experiment in benin," Natural Field Experiments 00339, The Field Experiments Website.
- Megan Sheahan & Yanyan Liu & Christopher B. Barrett & Sudha Narayanan, 2014.
"The Political Economy of MGNREGS Spending in Andhra Pradesh,"
- Sheahan, Megan & Liu, Yanyan & Barrett, Christopher B. & Narayanan, Sudha, 2014. "The political economy of MGNREGS spending in Andhra Pradesh:," IFPRI discussion papers 1371, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Megan Sheahan & Yanyan Liu & Christopher B. Barrett & Sudha Narayanan, 2014. "The Political economy of MGNREGS spending in Andhra Pradesh," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2014-030, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Narayanan, Sudha & Das, Upasak & Liu, Yanyan & Barrett, Christopher B., 2017.
"The “Discouraged Worker Effect” in Public Works Programs: Evidence from the MGNREGA in India,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(C), pages 31-44.
- Sudha Narayanan & Upasak Das & Yanyan Liu & Christopher B. Barrett, 2016. "Discouraged worker effect in public works programs: Evidence from the MGNREGA in India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2016-027, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- repec:taf:jdevst:v:47:y:2011:i:11:p:1721-1738 is not listed on IDEAS
- Markussen, Thomas & Tarp, Finn, 2011.
"Political connections and investment in rural Vietnam,"
2011 ASAE 7th International Conference, October 13-15, Hanoi, Vietnam
291321, Asian Society of Agricultural Economists (ASAE).
- Finn Tarp & Thomas Markussen, 2011. "Political Connections and Investment in Rural Vietnam," WIDER Working Paper Series 037, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gupta, Bhanu & Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop, 2016.
"Local funds and political competition: Evidence from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 14-30.
- Bhanu Gupta & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2014. "Local funds and political competition: Evidence from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series esid-042-14, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Gupta, Bhanu & Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop, 2014. "Local Funds and Political Competition: Evidence from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India," IZA Discussion Papers 8196, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Khemani, Stuti, 2015. "Buying votes versus supplying public services: Political incentives to under-invest in pro-poor policies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 84-93.
- Sam Asher & Paul Novosad, 2017. "Politics and Local Economic Growth: Evidence from India," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 229-273, January.
- Asim Ijaz Khwaja & Atif Mian, 2005. "Do Lenders Favor Politically Connected Firms? Rent Provision in an Emerging Financial Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(4), pages 1371-1411.
More about this item
Keywordspolitical clientelism; political activism; NREGS; India;
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CDM-2018-02-26 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-DEV-2018-02-26 (Development)
- NEP-POL-2018-02-26 (Positive Political Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp11277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Holger Hinte). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .