Minimum Wage Effects on Hours, Employment and Number of Firms: The Iowa Case
Research on Iowa low-wage retail and service industries supports the view that minimum wages lower employment opportunities for workers. The sample period includes three successive changes in the Iowa minimum wage in 1990, 1991, and 1992, during which time the Iowa rate exceeded the federal minimum wage and that of its surrounding states. Firm-level longitudinal data which separated sub- from superminimum workers yielded employment demand elasticities ranging from -0.3 to -0.7. Hours elasticities were even larger, implying that the increases in minimum wages lowered earnings for subminimum workers. These findings are corroborated by analysis of county-level, two-digit industry data. Minimum wages also reduced the number of firms, but increased average firm size in these industries.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Labor Research, Winter 2002, vol. 23 no. 1, pp. 3-23|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1995. "The Effect of New Jersey's Minimum Wage Increase on Fast-Food Employment: A Re-Evaluation Using Payroll Records," NBER Working Papers 5224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley Ashenfelter & David Card, 1982.
"Time Series Representations of Economic Variables and Alternative Models of the Labour Market,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 49(5), pages 761-782.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & David Card, 1982. "Time Series Representation of Economic Variables and Alternative Models of the Labor Market," Working Papers 528, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- repec:pri:indrel:298 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frey, Bruno S, et al, 1984. "Consensus and Dissension among Economists: An Empirical Inquiry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 986-94, December.
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1993.
"Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania,"
NBER Working Papers
4509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1994. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 772-93, September.
- Lawrence Katz & Alan Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," Working Papers 678, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Katz, L.F. & Krueger, A.B., 1992.
"The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1584, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast-Food Industry," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 6-21, October.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," NBER Working Papers 3997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:prinin:298 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Jean Baldwin Grossman, 1983. "The Impact of the Minimum Wage on Other Wages," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 18(3), pages 359-378.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:4053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.