Alliance Capability, Governance Mechanisms And Stakeholder Management In Complex Settings
In today’s business environment, inter-firm alliances of simultaneous cooperation and competition (IASCC) have become very important for enhancement of internal resources as well as market shares of firms. Evidence suggests that majority of the alliances today occur between competitors or within the same industry. Given the increasing importance and complexity of IASCC, issues of stakeholder management and governance structures in such alliances need to be more clearly understood. Using primary data collected from Indian firms in different sectors, this paper explores the antecedents of governance mechanisms in IASCC from a stakeholder perspective by viewing alliance partners as stakeholders. It is argued that alliance capabilities are important determinants of governance structures. Moreover, the role of these capabilities is moderated by the strategic context of the IASCC in determining the nature of governance structures.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 91 79 2630 7241|
Fax: 91 79 2630 6896
Web page: http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/publications
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cary Deck & Nisvan Erkal, 2009.
"An Experimental Analysis of Dynamic Incentives to Share Knowledge,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1083, The University of Melbourne.
- Cary Deck & Nisvan Erkal, 2013. "An Experimental Analysis Of Dynamic Incentives To Share Knowledge," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(2), pages 1622-1639, 04.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Jiang, Xu & Li, Yuan, 2009. "An empirical investigation of knowledge management and innovative performance: The case of alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 358-368, March.
- Luo, Yadong, 2007. "A coopetition perspective of global competition," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 129-144, June.
- Sascha Albers, 2010. "Configurations of Alliance Governance Systems," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(3), pages 204-233, July.
- Stein E. Østbye & Matthew R. Roelofs, 2013. "The competition--innovation debate: is R&D cooperation the answer?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 153-176, March.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Malhotra, Deepak, 2011. "Shadow of the contract: how contract structure shapes inter-firm dispute resolution," MPRA Paper 38359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rothaermel, Frank T. & Deeds, David L., 2006. "Alliance type, alliance experience and alliance management capability in high-technology ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 429-460, July.
- Lee, Yikuan & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "Enhancing alliance performance: The effects of contractual-based versus relational-based governance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 896-905, August.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Mellat-Parast, Mahour & Digman, Lester A., 2008. "Learning: The interface of quality management and strategic alliances," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 820-829, August.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1990. "Multimarket Contact and Collusive Behavior," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- T. K. Das, 2002. "The Dynamics of Alliance Conditions in the Alliance Development Process," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 725-746, 07.
- Luo, Yadong, 2004. "A coopetition perspective of MNC-host government relations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 431-451.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iim:iimawp:12111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.