News Shocks, Information Flows and SVARs
This paper assesses SVARs as relevant tools at identifying the aggregate effects of news shocks. When the econometrician and private agents’ information sets are not aligned, the dynamic responses identified from SVARs are biased. However, the bias vanishes when news shocks account for the bulk of fluctuations in the economy. A simple correlation diagnostic test shows that under this condition, news shocks identified through long–run and short–run restrictions have a correlation close to unity.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Annales d'Économie et de Statistique, vol. 113-114, Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques, Paris, June 2014, p. 293-308.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fève, Patrick & Matheron, Julien & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2009. "On the dynamic implications of news shocks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 96-98, February.
- Paul Beaudry & Franck Portier, 2006.
"Stock Prices, News, and Economic Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1293-1307, September.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2003. "Stock Prices, News and Economic Fluctuations," IDEI Working Papers 158, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Beaudry & Franck Portier, 2004. "Stock Prices, News and Economic Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 10548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2003. "Stock Prices, News and Economic Fluctuations," CEPR Discussion Papers 3844, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Beaudry & Bernd Lucke, 2010.
"Letting Different Views about Business Cycles Compete,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2009, Volume 24, pages 413-455
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Beaudry & Bernd Lucke, 2009. "Letting Different Views about Business Cycles Compete," NBER Working Papers 14950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:25752. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.