Sequential identification of technological news shocks
In an influential recent paper, Beaudry and Portier (2006) propose a sequential approach for identifying technological news shocks. Thereby, the correlation coefficient between news shocks of a short-run identification scheme and technology shocks of a long-run identification scheme in the VAR framework measures the extent to which news incorporated into forward-looking variables could reflect future technological developments. While structural VARs can potentially provide a useful guide for modelers as well as policy-makers, the ability of such models to recuperate structural shocks in general and news shocks in particular from the data is a contentious issue in the literature. In the current paper, I find by means of Monte Carlo simulations that the sequential approach can be quite successful in recuperating technological news shocks from artificial data.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Beaudry & Bernd Lucke, 2010.
"Letting Different Views about Business Cycles Compete,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2009, Volume 24, pages 413-455
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Beaudry & Bernd Lucke, 2009. "Letting Different Views about Business Cycles Compete," NBER Working Papers 14950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2013.
"No News in Business Cycles,"
491, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Forni, Mario & Gambetti, Luca & Sala, Luca, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 8274, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," Working Papers 383, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 862.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No news in business cycles," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 063, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Mario Forni & Luca Gambetti & Luca Sala, 2011. "No News in Business Cycles," Working Papers 535, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lucke, Bernd & Haertel, Thomas, 2008. "Do News Shocks Drive Business Cycles? Evidence from German Data," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2, pages 1-21.
- Eric Leeper & Todd Walker & Susan Yang SHu-Chun, 2009.
"Fiscal Foresight And Information Flows,"
Caepr Working Papers
2009-001, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Eric M. Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Shu-Chun Susan Yang, 2011. "Foresight and Information Flows," NBER Working Papers 16951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2007.
"Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?,"
364, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Chari, V.V. & Kehoe, Patrick J. & McGrattan, Ellen R., 2008. "Are structural VARs with long-run restrictions useful in developing business cycle theory?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 1337-1352, November.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2008. "Are Structural VARs with Long-Run Restrictions Useful in Developing Business Cycle Theory?," NBER Working Papers 14430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fève, Patrick & Matheron, Julien & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2009. "On the dynamic implications of news shocks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 96-98, February.
- Fève, Patrick & Jidoud, Ahmat, 2012.
"Identifying News Shocks from SVARs,"
TSE Working Papers
12-287, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.