On ABCs (and Ds) of VAR representations of DSGE models
This paper shows that the poor man's invertibility condition in Fernández-Villaverde et al. (2007) is, in general, sufficient but not necessary for fundamentalness; that is, a violation of this condition does not necessarily imply the impossibility of recovering the structural shocks of a DSGE via a VAR. The permanent income model in Fernández-Villaverde et al. (2007) is used to illustrate this fact. A necessary and sufficient condition for fundamentalness is formulated and its relations with the poor man's invertibility condition are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1994.
"VAR analysis, nonfundamental representations, blaschke matrices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 307-325, July.
- Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 1994. "VAR analysis, non-fundamental representations, Blashke matrices," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10151, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christopher Otrok & Andre Kurmann, 2011. "News Shocks and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Challenge for DSGE Models," 2011 Meeting Papers 426, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005.
"A, B, C’s, (and D’s) for understanding VARs,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2005-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A, B, C's (and D)'s for Understanding VARs," NBER Technical Working Papers 0308, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A, B, C’s (And D’s) For Understanding VARS," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-018, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent & Mark Watson, 2006. "A,B,C's (and D's)'s for Understanding VARS," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "A,B,C's (and D's)'s for Understanding VARS," Levine's Bibliography 172782000000000096, UCLA Department of Economics.
- S�ren Johansen, 2009. "Representation of Cointegrated Autoregressive Processes with Application to Fractional Processes," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 121-145.
- Federico Ravenna, 2006.
"Vector autoregressions and reduced form representations of DSGE models,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0619, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ravenna, Federico, 2007. "Vector autoregressions and reduced form representations of DSGE models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 2048-2064, October.
- Federico Ravenna, 2005. "Vector Autoregressions and Reduced Form Representations of DSGE Models," 2005 Meeting Papers 841, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric Leeper & Todd Walker & Susan Yang SHu-Chun, 2009.
"Fiscal Foresight And Information Flows,"
Caepr Working Papers
2009-001, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Todd B. Walker & Eric M. Leeper & Shu-Chun S. Yang, 2012. "Fiscal Foresight and Information Flows," IMF Working Papers 12/153, International Monetary Fund.
- Eric M. Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Shu-Chun Susan Yang, 2009. "Fiscal Foresight and Information Flows," NBER Working Papers 14630, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Robert Vigfusson, 2006.
"Assessing Structural VARs,"
NBER Working Papers
12353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979.
"Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models,"
127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:56_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios Vortelinos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.