Does Society Win or Lose as a Result of Privatization? The Case of Water Sector Privatization in Colombia
This paper studies the effects of water sector privatization on consumers’ welfare in 46 municipalities in Colombia. First, the privatization process is described. Second, the paper evaluates the impact of privatization on access, price, and quality of water as well as health outcomes using differences-in-differences methodology with variation across time (before and after privatization) and between treatment and control groups (privatized and non-privatized municipalities) and controlling for household and municipality characteristics. The results show positive effects of privatization, in particular in urban areas. There are four main results: (i) Privatization in urban areas increases access, has positive effects on the quality measured as the need for treatment and the aspect of the water (e. g. , presence of particles in the water), and improves health outcomes, as well as improves the frequency of the service for the lower quintiles. (ii) Privatization increases the price of water in the lower quintiles, although these effects may be the result of the joint implementation of privatization and the elimination of cross subsidies. (iii) In privatized municipalities with better governmental technical capacities there are positive effects on access, prices and quality. (iv) the positive effects of privatization in rural areas on the frequency of the service and on health outcomes are outweighed by negative impacts on access and prices. These results suggest that the benefits found in urban areas should be expanded to rural areas, and that the service should be more targeted toward the poorest.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blank, Rebecca M, 2000.
"When Can Public Policy Makers Rely on Private Markets? The Effective Provision of Social Services,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages 34-49, March.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 1999. "When Can Public Policy Makers Rely on Private Markets? The Effective Provision of Social Services," NBER Working Papers 7099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Pombo & Manuel Ramirez, 2002. "Privatization in Colombia: a plant performance analysis," BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÓN 003377, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Carlos Pombo & Manuel Ramírez, 2003. "Privatization in Colombia: A Plant Performance Analysis," Research Department Publications 3151, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2004. "Privatización en México," Research Department Publications 4374, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2004. "Privatization in Mexico," Research Department Publications 4373, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rama,Martin G., 1997. "Efficient public sector downsizing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1840, The World Bank.
- Marcela Meléndez & Andrés Gómez-Lobo Echeñique, 2007. "Social Policy, Regulation and Private Sector water supply: the case of Colombia," Working Papers wp252, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo Lora & Ugo Panizza, 2002. "Structural Reforms in Latin America under Scrutiny," Research Department Publications 4303, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora & Ugo Panizza, 2002. "Structural Reforms in Latin America under Scrutiny," Research Department Publications 4301, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ugo Panizza & Eduardo Lora, 2002. "Structural Reforms in Latin America under Scrutiny," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4370, Inter-American Development Bank.
- AndrÈs GÛmez-Lobo & Dante Contreras, 2003. "Water Subsidy Policies: A Comparison of the Chilean and Colombian Schemes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 391-407, December.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Fabio Sánchez Torres & Michael Smart & Juan Gonzalo Zapata Giraldo, 2002. "Intergovernmental transfers and municipal finance in Colombia," INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN 002915, FEDESARROLLO.
- Juan Camilo Chaparro & Michael Smart & Juan Gonzola Zapata, 2004. "Intergovernmental Transfers and Municipal Finance in Colombia," International Tax Program Papers 0403, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Fiszbein, Ariel, 1997. "The Emergence of local capacity: Lessons from Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1029-1043, July.
- George R.G. Clarke & Katrina Kosec & Scott Wallsten, 2009. "Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? Empirical evidence from Latin America," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 327-361.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Kosec, Katrina & Wallsten, Scott, 2004. "Has private participation in water and sewerage improved coverage? - empirical evidence from Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3445, The World Bank.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Working Papers 54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Héctor Ochoa Díaz & Jaime Andrés Collazos Rodríguez, 2004. "La evaluación del desempeño de las empresas privatizadas en Colombia: ¿Coincide con la experiencia internacional?," ESTUDIOS GERENCIALES, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI, December.
- Albert Chong & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 2004. "Privatization in Latin America: What Does the Evidence Say?," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 37-111, January.
- Bird, Richard M. & Smart, Michael, 2002. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers: International Lessons for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 899-912, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)