Analysis of the Link between Ethanol, Energy, and Crop Markets, An
This study analyzes the impact of price shocks in three input and output markets critical to ethanol: gasoline, corn, and sugar. We investigate the impact of these shocks on ethanol and related agricultural markets in the United States and Brazil. We find that the composition of a country's vehicle fleet determines the direction of the response of ethanol consumption to changes in the gasoline price. We also find that a change in feedstock costs affects the profitability of ethanol producers and the domestic ethanol price. In Brazil, where two commodities compete for sugarcane, changes in the sugar market affect the competing ethanol market.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Web page: http://www.fapri.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ogenis Magno Brilhante, 1997. "Brazil's Alcohol Programme: From an Attempt to Reduce Oil Dependence in the Seventies to the Green Arguments of the Nineties," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 435-449.
- Gallagher, Paul & Schamel, Guenter & Shapouri, Hosein & Brubaker, Heather, 2006. "The international competitiveness of the U.S. corn-ethanol industry: A comparison with sugar-ethanol processing in Brazil," ISU General Staff Papers 200601010800001441, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Shapouri, Hosein & Price, Jeffrey & Schamel, Guenter & Brubaker, Heather, 2003. "Some long-run effects of growing markets and renewable fuel standards on additives markets and the US ethanol industry," ISU General Staff Papers 200309010700001445, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Koizumi, Tatsuji & Yanagishima, Koji, 2005. "Impacts of the Brazilian Ethanol Program on the World Ethanol and Sugar Market: An Econometric Simulation Approach," Japanese Journal of Rural Economics, Agricultural Economics Society of Japan (AESJ), vol. 7.
- Moreira, Jose R. & Goldemberg, Jose, 1999. "The alcohol program," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 229-245, April.
- Martines-Filho, Joao Gomes & Burnquist, Heloisa Lee & Vian, Carlos Eduardo de Freitas, 2006. "Bioenergy and the Rise of Sugarcane-Based Ethanol in Brazil," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(2).