The economic and environmental sustainability of biofuel production
This paper analyses some of the determinants of biofuel economy in terms of relations with the fossil fuels markets and the agricultural markets. In particular, on the basis of the scientific literature the impact of fossil fuel prices on the agricultural markets is analyzed together with substitutability between food/fodder and biofuel production. The study then goes on to attempt evaluation of the environmental sustainability of biofuels on the basis of the energy balance, greenhouse gas reduction and other environmental effects. The paper concludes with some benefits and costs considerations on biofuel and the implications for policy-making.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frondel, Manuel & Peters, Jorg, 2007.
"Biodiesel: A new Oildorado?,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1675-1684, March.
- Frondel, Manuel & Peters, Jörg, 2005. "Biodiesel: A New Oildorado?," RWI Discussion Papers 36, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Valeria Costantini & Francesco Gracceva, 2004. "Oil Security Short- and Long-Term Policies," Working Papers 2004.115, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid, 2006. "Analysis of the Link between Ethanol, Energy, and Crop Markets, An," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 06-wp435, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Simla Tokgoz & Amani Elobeid, 2006. "Analysis of the Link between Ethanol, Energy, and Crop Markets, An," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 06-wp435, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Treguer, David & Sourie, Jean-Claude & Rozakis, Stelios, 2005. "Questions of Costs About the French Bio-Fuel Sector by Year 2010," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24560, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ferris, John N. & Joshi, Satish V., 2004. "Evaluating The Impacts Of An Increase In Fuel-Ethanol Demand On Agriculture And The Economy," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20089, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tokgoz, Simla & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Dong, Fengxia & Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2007. "Long-Term and Global Tradeoffs between Bio-Energy, Feed, and Food," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.