Biofuel supply chain design under competitive agricultural land use and feedstock market equilibrium
The rapid expansion of the biofuel industry diverts a large amount of agricultural crops as energy feedstocks, and in turn affects farm land allocation, feedstock market equilibrium, and agricultural economic development in local areas. In this paper, we propose game-theoretic models that incorporate farmers' decisions on land use and market choice into the biofuel manufacturers' supply chain design problem. A noncooperative bi-level Stackelberg leader–follower game model and a cooperative game model are developed respectively to address possible business partnership scenarios between feedstock suppliers and biofuel manufacturers. The models determine the optimal number and locations of biorefineries, the required prices for these refineries to compete for feedstock resources, as well as farmers' land use choices between food and energy. Using corn as an example of feedstock crops, spatial market equilibrium is utilized to model the relationship between corn supply and demand, and the associated price variations in local grain markets. With linear corn demand functions, we develop a solution approach that transforms the original discrete mathematical program with equilibrium constraints (DC-MPEC) into to a solvable mixed integer quadratic programming (MIQP) problem based on Karush–Kuhn–Tucker (KKT) conditions. The proposed methodology is illustrated using an empirical case study of the Illinois State. The computation results reveal interesting insights into optimal land use strategies and supply chain design for the emerging “biofuel economy”.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Yongxi & Chen, Chien-Wei & Fan, Yueyue, 2010. "Multistage optimization of the supply chains of biofuels," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 820-830, November.
- Bai, Yun & Hwang, Taesung & Kang, Seungmo & Ouyang, Yanfeng, 2011. "Biofuel refinery location and supply chain planning under traffic congestion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 162-175, January.
- Wu, Tai-Hsi & Lin, Jen-Nan, 2003. "Solving the competitive discretionary service facility location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 366-378, January.
- Marie Walsh & Daniel de la Torre Ugarte & Hosein Shapouri & Stephen Slinsky, 2003. "Bioenergy Crop Production in the United States: Potential Quantities, Land Use Changes, and Economic Impacts on the Agricultural Sector," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(4), pages 313-333, April.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce, 2010. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," ISU General Staff Papers 201004070700001493, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dicks, Michael R. & Campiche, Jody L. & Torre Ugarte, Daniel de la & Hellwinckel, Chad M. & Bryant, Henry L. & Richardson, James W., 2009. "Land Use Implications of Expanding Biofuel Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(02), August.
- Dicks, Michael R. & Campiche, Jody & Ugarte, Daniel De La Torre & Hellwinckel, Chad & Bryant, Henry L. & Richardson, James W., 2009. "Land Use Implications of Expanding Biofuel Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(02), pages 435-453, August.
- Masao Fukushima, 2011. "Restricted generalized Nash equilibria and controlled penalty algorithm," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 201-218, August.
- Pierre Hanjoul & Pierre Hansen & Dominique Peeters & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1990. "Uncapacitated Plant Location Under Alternative Spatial Price Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(1), pages 41-57, January.
- HANJOUL, Pierre & HANSEN, Pierre & PEETERS, Dominique & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "Uncapacitated plant location under alternative spatial price policies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 875, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hanjoul, P. & Hansen, P. & Peeters, D. & Thisse, J.-F., 1988. "Uncapacitated plant location under alternative spatial price policies," CORE Discussion Papers 1988019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Shapouri, Hosein & Price, Jeffrey & Schamel, Guenter & Brubaker, Heather, 2003. "Some Long-Run Effects of Growing Markets and Renewable Fuel Standards on Additives Markets and the U.S. Ethanol Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10648, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Shapouri, Hosein & Price, Jeffrey & Schamel, Guenter & Brubaker, Heather, 2003. "Some long-run effects of growing markets and renewable fuel standards on additives markets and the US ethanol industry," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 585-608, September.
- Gallagher, Paul W. & Shapouri, Hosein & Price, Jeffrey & Schamel, Guenter & Brubaker, Heather, 2003. "Some long-run effects of growing markets and renewable fuel standards on additives markets and the US ethanol industry," ISU General Staff Papers 200309010700001445, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John D. Anderson & Keith H. Coble, 2010. "Impact of renewable fuels standard ethanol mandates on the corn market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 49-63.
- Garci'a-Bertrand, Raquel & Conejo, Antonio J. & Gabriel, Steven, 2006. "Electricity market near-equilibrium under locational marginal pricing and minimum profit conditions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 457-479, October.
- Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & He, Lixia, 2008. "Economic Analysis of Farm-Level Supply of Biomass Feedstocks for Energy Production Under Alternative Contract Scenarios and Risk," Transition to a Bio Economy Conferences, Integration of Agricultural and Energy Systems Conference, February 12-13, 2008, Atlanta, Georgia 48706, Farm Foundation.
- Kevin McNew & Duane Griffith, 2005. "Measuring the Impact of Ethanol Plants on Local Grain Prices," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 164-180.
- Eathington, Liesl & Swenson, David A., 2007. "Dude, Where's My Corn? Constraints on the Location of Ethanol Production in the Corn Belt," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12777, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel, Steven A. & Leuthold, Florian U., 2010. "Solving discretely-constrained MPEC problems with applications in electric power markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-14, January.
- Daniel Serra & Charles Revelle, 1997. "Competitive location and pricing on networks," Economics Working Papers 219, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Mark Gehlhar & Agapi Somwaru & Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer & Ashley R. Winston, 2010. "Economywide Implications from US Bioenergy Expansion," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 172-177, May.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Houee-Bigot, Magalie, 2007. "Measuring Competition between Non-Food and Food Demand on World Grain Markets : Is Biofuel Production Compatible with Pressure for Food Production ?," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9854, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ervola, Asta & Lankoski, Jussi E. & Ollikainen, Markku, 2011. "Agriculture and Climate Change: Socially Optimal Production and Land Use," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114339, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jacek Krawczyk, 2007. "Numerical solutions to coupled-constraint (or generalised Nash) equilibrium problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 183-204, April.
- Tyner Wallace & Taheripour Farzad, 2008. "Biofuels, Policy Options, and Their Implications: Analyses Using Partial and General Equilibrium Approaches," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-19, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:5:p:1623-1633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.