Policy Options to Reduce Unemployment: TRYM Simulations
This paper evaluates different policy options to reduce unemployment by using a version of the TRYM model. For the purpose of this paper, the TRYM model has been modified in several respects, particularly by combining the private business and government trading enterprise sectors. For the long run, the neoclassical model closure means that the unemployment rate converges to an exogenously set NAIRU rate. For the short and medium run, periods well in excess of ten years, policy simulations show that macroeconomic policy changes, wage changes, labour productivity changes, and NAIRU changes affect employment and unemployment. Further, these policy effects are produced whether the model begins in a disequilibrium situation of unemployment above the NAIRU or at the long run equilibrium growth path with unemployment equal to the NAIRU.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980.
"Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-85, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Summers, Peter M., 2001. "Forecasting Australia's economic performance during the Asian crisis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 499-515.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Elizabeth Webster & Lei Lei Song, 2001.
"How Segmented Are Skilled and Unskilled Labour Markets: The Case of Beveridge Curves,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2001n14, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Lei Lei Song & Elizabeth Webster, 2003. "How Segmented are Skilled and Unskilled Labour Markets: the Case of Beveridge Curves," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 332-345, 09.
- Dungey, Mardi & Pagan, Adrian, 2000. "A Structural VAR Model of the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(235), pages 321-42, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2001n19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.