Controllability and Persistence of Money Market Rates along the Yield Curve: Evidence from the Euro Area
Controllability of longer-term interest rates requires that the persistence of their deviations from the central bank's policy rate (i.e. the policy spreads) remains suciently low. This paper applies fractional integration techniques to assess the persistence of policy spreads of euro area money market rates along the yield curve. Independently from anticipated policy rate changes, there is strong evidence for all maturities that policy spreads exhibit long memory. We show that recent changes in the operational framework and the communication strategy of the European Central Bank have significantly decreased the persistence of euro area policy spreads and, thus, have enhanced the central bank's influence on longer-term money market rates.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto, 2007. "Dynamics of Persistence in International Inflation Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 1457-1479, 09.
- Hassler, Uwe & Nautz, Dieter, 2008. "On the persistence of the Eonia spread," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 184-187, December.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1999.
"Non-stationary log-periodogram regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 325-371, August.
- Velasco, Carlos, 1998. "Non-stationary log-periodogram regression," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 4554, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Daniëls, Tijmen R. & Jager, Henk & Klaassen, Franc, 2011.
"Currency crises with the threat of an interest rate defence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 14-24, September.
- Colarossi, Silvio & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007. "Gradualism, transparency and improved operational framework: A look at the overnight volatility transmission," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Robinson Kruse, 2009.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 263-285, 05.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Kruse, Robinson, 2007. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-381, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Kuswanto, Heri & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2007. "Can we distinguish between common nonlinear time series models and long memory?," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-380, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2008.
"Modelling short-term interest rate spreads in the euro money market,"
Working Paper Series
0982, European Central Bank.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2008. "Modeling Short-Term Interest Rate Spreads in the Euro Money Market," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Tijmen R. Daniels & Henk Jager & Franc Klaassen, 2008.
"Defending against Speculative Attacks,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-090/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 06 Apr 2009.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2009.
"Tests of bias in log-periodogram regression,"
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 83-86, February.
- James Davidson & Philipp Sibbertsen, 2008. "Tests of Bias in Log-Periodogram Regression," Discussion Papers 0805, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, James & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2005. "Tests of Bias in Log-Periodogram Regression," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-317, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Hidalgo, Javier & Robinson, Peter M., 1996. "Testing for structural change in a long-memory environment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 159-174, January.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2002. "Structural breaks and fractional integration in the US output and unemployment rate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 79-84, September.
- Offermanns, Christian J. & Nautz, Dieter, 2006.
"The dynamic relationship between the Euro overnight rate, the ECB´s policy rate and the term spread,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Dieter Nautz & Christian J. Offermanns, 2007. "The dynamic relationship between the euro overnight rate, the ECB's policy rate and the term spread," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 287-300.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi, et al, 1998.
"Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 26-50, February.
- Pierluigi Balduzzi & Giuseppe Bertola & Silverio Foresi & Leora Klapper, 1997. "Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates," NBER Working Papers 5944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:esx:essedp:535 is not listed on IDEAS
- George Kapetanios, 2002. "Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity in Long Memory Models," Working Papers 473, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Kapetanios, George, 2008. "Nonlinear models for strongly dependent processes with financial applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 60-71, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2009-029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.