The Evolution of Fairness under an Assortative Matching Rule in the Ultimatum Game
This paper studies how a matching rule affects the evolution of fairness in an ultimatum mini game. Gale et al.  show that only selfish behaviour survives in the deterministic replicator dynamics under the random matching rule. In contrast, this paper shows that, under an assortative matching rule, the fair behaviour may survive at an asymptotically stable state.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +81-42-580-8000|
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shimer, R. & Smith, L., 1997.
"Assortative Matching and Search,"
97-2a, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-46, July-Aug..
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, 1999.
"A Theory Of Fairness, Competition, And Cooperation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 817-868, August.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., . "A theory of fairness, competition, and cooperation," Chapters in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1999. "A theory of fairness, competition, and cooperation," Munich Reprints in Economics 20650, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, . "A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation," IEW - Working Papers 004, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1998. "A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1812, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuelson, L. & Zhang, J., 1990.
"Evolutionary Stability In Symmetric Games,"
90-24, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Rute Mendes & Gerard J. van den Berg & Maarten Lindeboom, 2007.
"An Empirical Assessment of Assortative Matching in the Labor Market,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
62, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2010. "An empirical assessment of assortative matching in the labor market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 919-929, December.
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Assortative Matching in the Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 3053, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mendes, Rute & van den Berg, Gerard J & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2007. "An empirical assessment of assortative matching in the labor market," Working Paper Series 2007:30, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Vega-Redondo,Fernando, 2003.
"Economics and the Theory of Games,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521772518, May.
- Binmore, Ken & Samuelson, Larry, 1999. "Evolutionary Drift and Equilibrium Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(2), pages 363-93, April.
- Alp E. Atakan, 2006.
"Assortative Matching with Explicit Search Costs,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 667-680, 05.
- Gale, John & Binmore, Kenneth G. & Samuelson, Larry, 1995. "Learning to be imperfect: The ultimatum game," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 56-90.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Marriage: Part II,"
in: Marriage, Family, Human Capital, and Fertility, pages 11-26
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuelson, Larry & Zhang, Jianbo, 1992. "Evolutionary stability in asymmetric games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 363-391, August.
- T. Borgers & R. Sarin, 2010.
"Learning Through Reinforcement and Replicator Dynamics,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
380, David K. Levine.
- Borgers, Tilman & Sarin, Rajiv, 1997. "Learning Through Reinforcement and Replicator Dynamics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 1-14, November.
- Tilman B�rgers & Rajiv Sarin, . "Learning Through Reinforcement and Replicator Dynamics," ELSE working papers 051, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- M.A. Nowak & K. Sigmund, 1998. "Evolution of Indirect Reciprocity by Image Scoring/ The Dynamics of Indirect Reciprocity," Working Papers ir98040, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Cressman, R., 1997. "Local stability of smooth selection dynamics for normal form games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-19, August.
- Binmore, Ken & McCarthy, John & Ponti, Giovanni & Samuelson, Larry & Shaked, Avner, 2002.
"A Backward Induction Experiment,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 48-88, May.
- Guth, Werner & Schmittberger, Rolf & Schwarze, Bernd, 1982. "An experimental analysis of ultimatum bargaining," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 367-388, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:econdp:2008-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.