The Algebra of Assortative Encounters and the Evolution of Cooperation
This paper explores the quantitative relation between non random, assortative matching and the maintenance of cooperative behavior under evolutionary dynamics. We consider a population of individuals who are \hardwired" to play either cooperate or defect. They meet other individuals according to some random process and play their programmed strategy in a game of Prisoners' Dilemma. The type that gets the higher expected payoff reproduces more rapidly. We deÂ¯ne an index of assortativity of encounters and develop an \algebra of assortative encounters." In one set of applications, we calculate the index of assortativity for games between relatives with either cultural or genetic inheritance and we show the logical connection between the index of assortativity and Hamilton's theory of kin selection . We also apply the index of assortativity to determine the population dynamics when players select their partners, using partially informative cues about each others' types.
|Date of creation:||25 Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2127 North Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210|
Phone: (805) 893-3670
Fax: (805) 893-8830
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsbecon_dwp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, .
"On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings,"
ELSE working papers
017, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1995. "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 58-81, March.
- Ted Bergstrom, . "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," Papers _023, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Oded Stark, 1994.
"How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment,"
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Stark, Oded, 1993. "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 149-55, May.
- Bergstrom, T.C. & Stark, O., 1993. "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," Papers 93-01, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Ted Bergstrom & Oded Stark, . "How Altruism Can Prevail in an Evolutionary Environment," Papers _024, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Myerson, Roger B. & Pollock, Gregory B. & Swinkels, Jeroen M., 1991.
"Viscous population equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 101-109, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsbec:qt8fm2t3nf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.