Higher Education and the Determination of Aggregate Male Employment by Age
This paper studies the determinants of age-specific employment rates among Swedish males, focusing on the effect of education on employment. We use cohort specific data for the time period 1984-1996 covering cohorts aged 21-45. Two states of the labour market are compared; the high employment period 1984-90 and the recent downturn 1991-96. It is found that aggregate age-group specific employment rates increase with the proportion of the cohort with an academic degree. The effect is stronger in the downturn period as compared to the boom period. However, we do not find any strong evidence in favour of the hypothesis that the effect of higher education on employment is declining with age. Estimations to capture crowding out effects between age-groups indicate larger effects in times of high employment when the own cohort effect is weaker.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1991. "Ageing and the Labor Market: Age Structure, Cohort Size and Unemployment," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 177-200, August.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1996.
"Are the unemployed unemployable?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1501-1519, August.
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 1994. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable?," IMF Working Papers 94/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1992. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable," DELTA Working Papers 92-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable?," CEPR Discussion Papers 689, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Michael L. Wachter & Choongsoo Kim, 1979. "Time Series Changes in Youth Joblessness," NBER Working Papers 0384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregg, Paul & Manning, Alan, 1997. "Skill-biassed change, unemployment and wage inequality," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1173-1200, June.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1994. "Unemployment and Increasing Returns to Human Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 921, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Teulings, Coen & Koopmanschap, Marc, 1989. "An econometric model of crowding out of lower education levels," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1653-1664, October.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1979. "Education and Lifetime Patterns of Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages S117-31, October.
- McKenna, C. J., 1996. "Education and the distribution of unemployment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 113-132, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:umnees:0520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.