Are the Unemployed Unemployable?
This paper develops a matching model of the labour market under wage rigidity when hiring decisions are irreversible. There are two types of workers, the skilled and the unskilled. The model is used to analyse whether technological advances may have increased unemployment, and shows that this is likely to occur if technological change is associated with an increase in the productivity and/or the supply of skilled relative to unskilled workers. These effects are stronger when hiring decisions are more irreversible.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1992|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C Bean, 1992.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1993. "Lessons from the macroeconomic experience of Sweden," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-72, March.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1992.
"Unemployment in the OECD Countries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0081, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-94, October.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1996.
"Are the unemployed unemployable?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1501-1519, August.
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 1994. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable?," IMF Working Papers 94/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable?," CEPR Discussion Papers 689, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1992. "Are the Unemployed Unemployable," DELTA Working Papers 92-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1992. "Loss of Skill during Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-91, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:689. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.