Does Retirement Age Impact Mortality?
This paper studies the relationship between retirement and mortality, using a unique administrative data set covering the full population of Norway. We make use of a series of retirement policy changes in Norway, which reduced the retirement age for a group of workers but not for others. By employing a difference-in-differences framework based on monthly birth cohort and treatment group status we first establish that the early retirement program significantly reduced the retirement age – this remains true when we account for program substitution, for example into the disability pension. Using instrumental variables estimation we find that retirement age has no effect on mortality.
|Date of creation:||11 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Sullivan & Till von Wachter, 2009. "Job Displacement and Mortality: An Analysis Using Administrative Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(3), pages 1265-1306.
- Mari Rege & Kjetil Telle & Mark Votruba, 2009.
"The Effect of Plant Downsizing on Disability Pension Utilization,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 7(4), pages 754-785, 06.
- Mari Rege, Kjetil Telle & Mark Votruba, 2005. "The Effect of Plant Downsizing on Disability Pension Utilization," Discussion Papers 435, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Norma B. Coe & Gema Zamarro, 2008.
"Retirement Effects on Health in Europe,"
588, RAND Corporation.
- Gaure, Simen & Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2007.
"Time and causality: A Monte Carlo assessment of the timing-of-events approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1159-1195, December.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Time and Causality: A Monte Carlo Assessment of the Timing-of-Events Approach," Memorandum 19/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Coe, N.B. & Lindeboom, M., 2008.
"Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows,"
2008-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Coe, Norma B. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2008. "Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows," IZA Discussion Papers 3817, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philippe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010.
"Fatal attraction? Access to early retirement and mortality,"
IEW - Working Papers
499, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," IZA Discussion Papers 5160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," CEPR Discussion Papers 8024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philipe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," NRN working papers 2010-08, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Salm, M., 2009. "Does job loss cause ill health?," Other publications TiSEM 314436db-9957-4912-ba47-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Brockmann, Hilke & Müller, Rolf & Helmert, Uwe, 2009. "Time to retire - Time to die? A prospective cohort study of the effects of early retirement on long-term survival," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 160-164, July.
- Hernaes, Erik & Sollie, Marte & Strom, Steinar, 2000.
" Early Retirement and Economic Incentives,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 481-502, June.
- Salm, Martin, 2009.
"Does Job Loss Cause Ill Health?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4147, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Knut Røed & Fredrik Haugen, 2003. "Early Retirement and Economic Incentives: Evidence from a Quasi-natural Experiment," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(2), pages 203-228, 06.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Espen Bratberg & Tor Helge Holmås & Øystein Thøgersen, 2004. "Assessing the effects of an early retirement program," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 17(3), pages 387-408, 08.
- Michael D. Hurd & Kathleen McGarry, 2002.
"The Predictive Validity of Subjective Probabilities of Survival,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 966-985, October.
- Michael D. Hurd & Kathleen McGarry, 1997. "The Predictive Validity of Subjective Probabilities of Survival," NBER Working Papers 6193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Browning, Martin & Heinesen, Eskil, 2012. "Effect of job loss due to plant closure on mortality and hospitalization," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 599-616.
- Vestad, Ola Lotherington, 2013.
"Labour supply effects of early retirement provision,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 98-109.
- Ola Lotherington Vestad, 2012. "Labour supply effects of early retirement provision," Discussion Papers 717, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald, 2004.
"Does job loss shorten life?,"
Working Papers in Economics
153, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 17 Sep 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2012_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.