Early retirement and post retirement health
This paper studies empirically the consequences of retirement on health. We make use of a targeted retirement offer to army employees 55 years of age or older. Before the offer was implemented in the Swedish defense, the normal retirement age was 60 years of age. Estimating the effect of the offer on individuals’ health within the age range 56-70, we find support for a reduction in both mortality and in inpatient care as a consequence of the early retirement offer. Increasing the mandatory retirement age may thus not only have positive government income effects but also negative effects on increasing government health care expenditures
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Uppsala University, P. O. Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Coe, Norma B. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2008.
"Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3817, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coe, N.B. & Lindeboom, M., 2008. "Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows," Discussion Paper 2008-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hernaes, Erik & Markussen, Simen & Piggott, John & Vestad, Ola, 2012.
"Does Retirement Age Impact Mortality?,"
19/2012, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Kristiina Huttunen & Jarle Møen & Kjell G. Salvanes, 2011. "How Destructive Is Creative Destruction? Effects Of Job Loss On Job Mobility, Withdrawal And Income," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(5), pages 840-870, October.
- Hult, Carl & Stattin, Mikael & Janlert, Urban & Järvholm, Bengt, 2010. "Timing of retirement and mortality - A cohort study of Swedish construction workers," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(10), pages 1480-1486, May.
- Black, Sandra & Devereux, Paul J. & Salvanes, Kjell G, 2013.
"Losing Heart? The Effect of Job Displacement on Health,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9276, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux & Kjell G. Salvanes, 2015. "Losing Heart? The Effect of Job Displacement on Health," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 68(4), pages 833-861, August.
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux & Kjell G. Salvanes, 2012. "Losing Heart? The Effect of Job Displacement on Health," NBER Working Papers 18660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Black, Sandra E. & Devereux, Paul J. & Salvanes, Kjell G., 2012. "Losing Heart? The Effect of Job Displacement on Health," IZA Discussion Papers 7117, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hans Bloemen & Stefan Hochguertel & Jochem Zweerink, 2013.
"The Causal Effect of Retirement on Mortality - Evidence from Targeted Incentives to retire early,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
13-119/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bloemen, Hans & Hochguertel, Stefan & Zweerink, Jochem, 2013. "The Causal Effect of Retirement on Mortality: Evidence from Targeted Incentives to Retire Early," IZA Discussion Papers 7570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bloemen, H. & Hochguertel, S. & Zweering, J., 2013. "The Causal Effect of Retirement on Mortality: Evidence from Targeted Incentives to Retire Early," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 13/22, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philippe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010.
"Fatal attraction? Access to early retirement and mortality,"
IEW - Working Papers
499, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," IZA Discussion Papers 5160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," CEPR Discussion Papers 8024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philipe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," NRN working papers 2010-08, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Norma B. Coe & Gema Zamarro, 2008.
"Retirement Effects on Health in Europe,"
588, RAND Corporation.
- Marcus Eliason, 2011. "Income after job loss: the role of the family and the welfare state," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(5), pages 603-618.
- Browning, Martin & Heinesen, Eskil, 2012. "Effect of job loss due to plant closure on mortality and hospitalization," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 599-616.
- Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald, 2004.
"Does job loss shorten life?,"
Working Papers in Economics
153, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 17 Sep 2007.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles, 2002. "Is Retirement Depressing?: Labor Force Inactivity and Psychological Well-Being in Later Life," NBER Working Papers 9033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald, 2009. "Job loss is bad for your health - Swedish evidence on cause-specific hospitalization following involuntary job loss," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(8), pages 1396-1406, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uulswp:2014_005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.