Irish GDP between the Famine and the First World War: Estimates Based on a Dynamic Factor Model
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Williamson Jeffrey G., 1995.
"The Evolution of Global Labor Markets since 1830: Background Evidence and Hypotheses,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 141-196, April.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1992. "The Evolution of Global Labor Markets Since 1830 Background Evidence and Hypotheses," NBER Historical Working Papers 0036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greasley, David, 1986. "British economic growth: The paradox of the 1880s and the timing of the climacteric," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 416-444, October.
- Frank Geary, 1998. "Deindustrialization in Ireland to 1851: some evidence from the census," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 51(3), pages 512-541, August.
- Broadberry,Stephen & Campbell,Bruce M. S. & Klein,Alexander & Overton,Mark & van Leeuwen,Bas, 2015. "British Economic Growth, 1270â€“1870," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107070783.
- Sarferaz, Samad & Uebele, Martin, 2009.
"Tracking down the business cycle: A dynamic factor model for Germany 1820-1913,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 368-387, July.
- Samad Sarferaz & Martin Uebele, 2007. "Tracking Down the Business Cycle: A Dynamic Factor Model For Germany 1820-1913," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Roger Fouquet & Stephen Broadberry, 2015.
"Seven Centuries of European Economic Growth and Decline,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 227-244, Fall.
- Fouquet, Roger & Broadberry, Stephen, 2015. "Seven centuries of European economic growth and decline," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 63626, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Broadberry & Roger Fouquet, 2015. "Seven centuries of European economic growth and decline," GRI Working Papers 206, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Fredrik NG Andersson, 2011. "Monetary Policy, Asset Price Inflation and Consumer Price Inflation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 759-770.
- Jutta Bolt & Jan Luiten Zanden, 2014. "The Maddison Project: collaborative research on historical national accounts," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 67(3), pages 627-651, August.
- Hickson, Charles R. & Turner, John D., 2008. "Pre- and post-famine indices of Irish equity prices," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 3-38, April.
- Crafts, N F R & Leybourne, S J & Mills, Terence C, 1989. "The Climacteric in Late Victorian Britain and France: A Reappraisal of the Evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 103-117, April-Jun.
- Bassino, Jean-Pascal & Broadberry, Stephen & Fukao, Kyoji & Gupta, Bishnupriya & Takashima, Masanori, 2015. "Japan and the Great Divergence, 725-1874," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 230, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Carlos Álvarez-Nogal & Leandro Prados De La Escosura, 2013.
"The rise and fall of Spain (1270–1850),"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 66(1), pages 1-37, February.
- Álvarez Nogal, Carlos & Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011. "The rise and fall of Spain (1270-1850)," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp11-02, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Álvarez-Nogal, Carlos & Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011. "The Rise and Fall of Spain (1270-1850)," CEPR Discussion Papers 8369, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Emi Nakamura & J?n Steinsson, 2014.
"Fiscal Stimulus in a Monetary Union: Evidence from US Regions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(3), pages 753-792, March.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2011. "Fiscal Stimulus in a Monetary Union: Evidence from U.S. Regions," NBER Working Papers 17391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Geary & Tom Stark, 2004. "Trends in real wages during the industrial revolution: a view from across the Irish Sea," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 57(2), pages 362-395, May.
- Solomou, Solomos & Weale, Martin, 1991. "Balanced estimates of UK GDP 1870-1913," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 54-63, January.
- Acheson, Graeme G. & Hickson, Charles R. & Turner, John D. & Ye, Qing, 2009. "Rule Britannia! British Stock Market Returns, 1825-1870," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(04), pages 1107-1137, December.
- Liam Brunt & Edmund Cannon, 2004. "The Irish grain trade from the Famine to the First World War," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 57(1), pages 33-79, February.
- McLeay, Michael & Radia, Amar & Thomas, Ryland, 2014. "Money creation in the modern economy," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 54(1), pages 14-27.
- Jason Begley & Frank Geary & Tom Stark, 2016. "Convergence in the pre-1914 Atlantic economy: what really happened to wages in Ireland between 1881 and 1911?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 43-67.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Stuart, Rebecca, 2014.
"Money, Interest Rates and Prices in Ireland, 1933-2012,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Stuart, Rebecca, 2015. "Money, interest rates and prices in Ireland, 1933-2012," CFS Working Paper Series 513, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lennart Schon & Olle Krantz, 2012. "The Swedish economy in the early modern period: constructing historical national accounts," European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 529-549, November.
- Richard S. Grossman & Ronan C. Lyons & Kevin Hjortshøj O'rourke & Madalina A. Ursu, 2014. "A monthly stock exchange index for Ireland, 1864–1930," European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 248-276.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Lothian, J. R., 1980. "Money in the United Kingdom: 1833-1880," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10974, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank Geary & Tom Stark, 2015. "Regional GDP in the UK, 1861–1911: new estimates," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 68(1), pages 123-144, February.
- Louis M. Cullen, 1995. "Irish National Income in 1911 and its Context," Papers WP063, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1989.
"New Indexes of Coincident and Leading Economic Indicators,"
NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 351-409
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, J.H. & Watson, M.W., 1989. "New Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Economic Indicators," Papers 178d, Harvard - J.F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Grossman, Richard S., 2002. "New Indices Of British Equity Prices, 1870 1913," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(01), pages 121-146, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blum, Matthias & Colvin, Christopher L. & McLaughlin, Eoin, 2017.
"Scarring and selection in the Great Irish Famine,"
QUCEH Working Paper Series
2017-08, Queen's University Belfast, Queen's University Centre for Economic History.
- Matthias Blum & Christopher L. Colvin & Eoin McLaughlin, 2017. "Scarring and Selection in the Great Irish Famine," Discussion Papers in Environment and Development Economics 2017-10, University of St. Andrews, School of Geography and Sustainable Development.
More about this item
KeywordsIreland; GDP; Famine; Historical national accounts;
- C38 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Classification Methdos; Cluster Analysis; Principal Components; Factor Analysis
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-07-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2016-07-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2016-07-09 (Macroeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2016_013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/delunse.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.