MNC affiliation, knowledge bases and involvement in global innovation networks
Innovation collaboration is subjected to partner search and selection constraints. These constraints are reinforced by geographical distance, and mediated by privileged information accessed through pre-existing formal and informal ties to foreign business contexts. Multinational corporations may therefore influence the collaborative linkages maintained by their affiliates abroad, outside the group network. This paper shows that the sensitivity of foreign collaboration to resources provided by the parent group is dependent on whether affiliates of the multinational are engaged in developing cross-disciplinary, application-specific technological knowledge with a strong tacit content (e.g. systems engineering), knowledge with a strong aesthetic of cultural content (e.g. media or fashion) or knowledge dominated by specific scientific disciplines (e.g. biotechnology).
|Date of creation:||03 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 (0) 46 222 74 68
Web page: http://www.circle.lu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Kander, Astrid & Enflo, Kerstin & Schön, Lennart, 2007. "In Defense of Electricity as a General Purpose Technology," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/6, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Christian Bellak, 2004.
"How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth,"
148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Nooteboom, Bart & Van Haverbeke, Wim & Duysters, Geert & Gilsing, Victor & van den Oord, Ad, 2007.
"Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1016-1034, September.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanheverbeke, W.P.M. & Duysters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord van den, A,J,, 2005. "Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity," Working Papers 05.05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanhaverbeke, W.P.M. & Duijsters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord, A., 2006. "Optimal Cognitive Distance and Absorptive Capacity," Discussion Paper 2006-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 2009. "The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: From liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(9), pages 1411-1431, December.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2005.
"Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing - From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking,"
DRUID Working Papers
05-17, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Peter Maskell & Torben Pedersen & Bent Petersen & Jens Dick-Nielsen, 2007. "Learning Paths to Offshore Outsourcing: From Cost Reduction to Knowledge Seeking," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 239-257.
- Andre Torre, 2008. "On the Role Played by Temporary Geographical Proximity in Knowledge Transmission," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 869-889.
- Bernd Ebersberger & Sverre J. Herstad, 2012. "Go abroad or have strangers visit? On organizational search spaces and local linkages," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 273-295, January.
- Olof Ejermo & Astrid Kander, 2011. "Swedish business research productivity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 1081-1118, August.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Nicole E Coviello, 2006. "The network dynamics of international new ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(5), pages 713-731, September.
- Alexander Oettl & Ajay Agrawal, 2008. "International labor mobility and knowledge flow externalities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(8), pages 1242-1260, December.
- Jensen, Morten Berg & Johnson, Bjorn & Lorenz, Edward & Lundvall, Bengt Ake, 2007. "Forms of knowledge and modes of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 680-693, June.
- Roper, Stephen & Du, Jun & Love, James H., 2008. "Modelling the innovation value chain," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 961-977, July.
- Ingmar Bj�rkman & Wilhelm Barner-Rasmussen & Li Li, 2004. "Managing knowledge transfer in MNCs: the impact of headquarters control mechanisms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 443-455, September.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Schmidt, Tobias, 2005.
"Absorptive Capacity: One Size Fits All? Firm-level Analysis of Absorptive Capacity for Different Kinds of Knowledge,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-72, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Tobias Schmidt, 2010. "Absorptive capacity-one size fits all? A firm-level analysis of absorptive capacity for different kinds of knowledge," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(1), pages 1-18.
- Tobias Schmidt, 2005. "Absorptive Capacity – One Size Fits All? A Firm-level Analysis of Absorptive Capacity for Different Kinds of Knowledge," Industrial Organization 0510010, EconWPA.
- Fitjar, Rune Dahl & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés, 2013.
"Firm collaboration and modes of innovation in Norway,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 128-138.
- Rune Dahl Fitjar & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2011. "Firm collaboration and modes of innovation in Norway," Working Papers 2011-12, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Fitjar, Rune Dahl & Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2011. "Firm collaboration and modes of innovation in Norway," CEPR Discussion Papers 8484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Schön, Lennart & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Industrial dynamics and innovative pressure on energy - Sweden with European and Global outlooks," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2004.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers Through Backward Linkages,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 605-627, June.
- Smarzynska, Beata K., 2002. "Does foreign direct investment increase the productivity of domestic firms : in search of spillovers through backward linkages," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2923, The World Bank.
- Beata K. Smarzynska, 2003. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Increase the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 548, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jerker Moodysson & Lars Coenen & Bj�rn Asheim, 2008. "Explaining spatial patterns of innovation: analytical and synthetic modes of knowledge creation in the Medicon Valley life-science cluster," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 40(5), pages 1040-1056, May.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, 03.
- Ragnhild Balsvik, 2011. "Is Labor Mobility a Channel for Spillovers from Multinationals? Evidence from Norwegian Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 285-297, February.
- Ejermo, Olof & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Swedish business research productivity – improvements against international trends," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/7, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- James D. Adams, 2001.
"Comparative Localization of Academic and Industrial Spillovers,"
NBER Working Papers
8292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Adams, 2002. "Comparative localization of academic and industrial spillovers," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 253-278, July.
- Fulvio Castellacci & Jinghai Zheng, 2010.
"Technological regimes, Schumpeterian patterns of innovation and firm-level productivity growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 1829-1865, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Zheng, Jinghai, 2010. "Technological regimes, Schumpeterian patterns of innovation and firm level productivity growth," MPRA Paper 27588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coviello, Nicole & Munro, Hugh, 1997. "Network relationships and the internationalisation process of small software firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 361-386, August.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Ebersberger, Bernd & Lööf, Hans, 2007.
"The Innovative Performance of Foreign-owned Enterprises in Small Open Economies,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
87, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Bernhard Dachs & Bernd Ebersberger & Hans Lööf, 2008. "The innovative performance of foreign-owned enterprises in small open economies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 393-406, August.
- Paul Ellis, 2000. "Social Ties and Foreign Market Entry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(3), pages 443-469, September.
- Inge Ivarsson, 2002. "Transnational corporations and the geographical transfer of localised technology: a multi-industry study of foreign affiliates in Sweden," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 221-247, April.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- Marion Frenz & Grazia Ietto-Gillies, 2007. "Does Multinationality Affect the Propensity to Innovate? An Analysis of the Third UK Community Innovation Survey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 99-117.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lucirc:2013_012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Grillitsch)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.