The internationalisation of r&d: sectoral and geographic patterns of cross-border investments
This paper presents the sectoral and geographic distribution of R&D-related activities, in comparison with manufacturing activities, by analysing data (from the fDi Markets database) on the number of cross-border greenfield investment projects. Investments are concentrated in fewer sectors and countries than manufacturing, and are less sensitive to the obstacles related with the distance between home and host countries. More than two-thirds of all cross-border investments are in the ICT/Electronic and Life Sciences/Chemical sectors, showing a different propensity towards R&D and Design, Development and Testing activities. Almost half of the investments is due to multinationals from North America, and over one third from Western Europe, featuring a different sectoral specialisation. Asia is the largest recipient area for ICT/Electronics and Industrial Machinery, while Western Europe ranks second and attracts relatively more research units in Life Sciences/Chemicals and in the Machinery industry.
Volume (Year): 2013/1 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dieter Ernst, 2002.
"Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013.
"R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions,"
Papers in Innovation Studies
2013/20, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013. "R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1581-1594.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2012. "R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions," Development Working Papers 345, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2011. "R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions," Working Papers 1120, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2012. "Geoadditive models for regional count data: an application to industrial location," ERSA conference papers ersa12p83, European Regional Science Association.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2008.
"Why are companies offshoring innovation ?the emerging global race for talent,"
Working Papers CEB
08-009, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009. "Why are companies offshoring innovation ?The emerging global race for talent," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9073, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ejermo, Olof & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Swedish business research productivity – improvements against international trends," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/7, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Gassmann, Oliver & von Zedtwitz, Maximilian, 1999. "New concepts and trends in international R&D organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 231-250, March.
- Narula, Rajneesh, 2002. "Innovation systems and 'inertia' in R&D location: Norwegian firms and the role of systemic lock-in," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 795-816, July.
- Lorena M. D'Agostino & Keld Laursen & Grazia D. Santangelo, 2013.
"The impact of R&D offshoring on the home knowledge production of OECD investing regions,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 145-175, January.
- Lorena M. D’Agostino & Keld Laursen & Grazia Santangelo, 2010. "The Impact of R&D Offshoring on the Home Knowledge Production of OECD Investing Regions," DRUID Working Papers 10-19, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Rajneesh Narula & Antonello Zanfei, 2003. "Globalisation of Innovation The Role of Multinational Enterprises," DRUID Working Papers 03-15, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Juan Alcácer & Wilbur Chung, 2007. "Location Strategies and Knowledge Spillovers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 760-776, May.
- Olof Ejermo & Astrid Kander, 2011. "Swedish business research productivity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 1081-1118, August.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, 03.
- Schön, Lennart & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Industrial dynamics and innovative pressure on energy - Sweden with European and Global outlooks," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Alessia Amighini & Roberta Rabellotti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2011. "China's Outward FDI: An Industry-level Analysis of Host Country Determinants," CESifo Working Paper Series 3688, CESifo Group Munich.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Kander, Astrid & Enflo, Kerstin & Schön, Lennart, 2007. "In Defense of Electricity as a General Purpose Technology," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/6, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:polipo:v:html10.3280/poli2013-001006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.