The internationalisation of r&d: sectoral and geographic patterns of cross-border investments
This paper presents the sectoral and geographic distribution of R&D-related activities, in comparison with manufacturing activities, by analysing data (from the fDi Markets database) on the number of cross-border greenfield investment projects. Investments are concentrated in fewer sectors and countries than manufacturing, and are less sensitive to the obstacles related with the distance between home and host countries. More than two-thirds of all cross-border investments are in the ICT/Electronic and Life Sciences/Chemical sectors, showing a different propensity towards R&D and Design, Development and Testing activities. Almost half of the investments is due to multinationals from North America, and over one third from Western Europe, featuring a different sectoral specialisation. Asia is the largest recipient area for ICT/Electronics and Industrial Machinery, while Western Europe ranks second and attracts relatively more research units in Life Sciences/Chemicals and in the Machinery industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2013/1 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/Elenco_Prodotti.aspx?startCode=DC Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kander, Astrid & Enflo, Kerstin & Schön, Lennart, 2007. "In Defense of Electricity as a General Purpose Technology," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/6, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2012.
"R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions,"
Development Working Papers
345, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013. "R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1581-1594.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013. "R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions," Papers in Innovation Studies 2013/20, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2011. "R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions," Working Papers 1120, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2008.
"Why are companies offshoring innovation ?the emerging global race for talent,"
Working Papers CEB
08-009, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arie Lewin & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters, 2009. "Why are companies offshoring innovation ?The emerging global race for talent," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9073, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000.
"Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Economics Study Area Working Papers
09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Dieter Ernst, 2002. "Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Gassmann, Oliver & von Zedtwitz, Maximilian, 1999. "New concepts and trends in international R&D organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 231-250, March.
- Rajneesh Narula & Antonello Zanfei, 2003. "Globalisation of Innovation The Role of Multinational Enterprises," DRUID Working Papers 03-15, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Alessia Amighini & Roberta Rabellotti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2011. "China's Outward FDI: An Industry-level Analysis of Host Country Determinants," CESifo Working Paper Series 3688, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lorena M. D'Agostino & Keld Laursen & Grazia D. Santangelo, 2013.
"The impact of R&D offshoring on the home knowledge production of OECD investing regions,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 145-175, January.
- Lorena M. D’Agostino & Keld Laursen & Grazia Santangelo, 2010. "The Impact of R&D Offshoring on the Home Knowledge Production of OECD Investing Regions," DRUID Working Papers 10-19, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Juan Alcácer & Wilbur Chung, 2007. "Location Strategies and Knowledge Spillovers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 760-776, May.
- Ejermo, Olof & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Swedish business research productivity – improvements against international trends," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/7, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2012. "Geoadditive models for regional count data: an application to industrial location," ERSA conference papers ersa12p83, European Regional Science Association.
- Olof Ejermo & Astrid Kander, 2011. "Swedish business research productivity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 1081-1118, August.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, 03.
- Schön, Lennart & Kander, Astrid, 2007. "Industrial dynamics and innovative pressure on energy - Sweden with European and Global outlooks," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Narula, Rajneesh, 2002. "Innovation systems and 'inertia' in R&D location: Norwegian firms and the role of systemic lock-in," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 795-816, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fan:polipo:v:html10.3280/poli2013-001006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.