Quo Vadis Southeast Europe? EU Accession, Regional Cooperation and the need for a Balkan Development Strategy
In some sense there is a very simple answer to the title question: Southeast Europe is heading towards the EU, though a period of weak regional cooperation, asymmetric relations with the EU and a slow and discontinuous accession process. The speed and discontinuity of this process, together with the changing character and purpose of the process of regional cooperation, raise two crucial questions for the region. First, is there a need for regional cooperation and integration in SEE? Second, what type of cooperation is needed? The paper seeks to address these questions by discussing the challenges and opportunities resulting from recent developments in the region (‘EU distancing’, ‘regional ownership’, etc) and their implications for the perspective that the region can follow. In doing so, it attempts an analysis of the goals of regionalism in Southeast Europe and offers some policy proposals for its future.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1995.
"Double-Edged Incentives: Institutions and Policy Coordination,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1141, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1995. "Double-edged incentives: Institutions and policy coordination," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 38, pages 1973-2030 Elsevier.
- Bennett, Colin J., 1991. "What Is Policy Convergence and What Causes It?," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 215-233, April.
- Vasily Astrov, 2001. "Structure of Trade in Manufactured Products Between Southeast European Countries and the European Union," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 14, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Vladimir Gligorov & Mary Kaldor & Loukas Tsoukalis, 1999. "Balkan Reconstruction and European Integration," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 1, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- George Petrakos, 2000. "Economic structure and change in the Balkan region: implications for integration, transition and economic cooperation," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 95-113, 03.
- Venables, Anthony J, 2000.
"Winners and Losers from Regional Integration Agreements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2528, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Winners and losers from regional integration agreements," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 747-761, October.
- Edward Christie, 2002.
"Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: a Gravity Model Approach,"
wiiw Working Papers
21, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Edward Christie, 2001. "Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: A Gravity Model Approach," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 11, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Dean DeRosa & David Kernohan, 2007. "Blind faith in the Balkans: trade policy options for South-East Europe," International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 53-87.
- Huber, Peter, 2006. "Regional labor market developments in transition," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3896, The World Bank.
- Pravin Krishna, 2003. "Are Regional Trading Partners "Natural"?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 202-231, February.
- Franchino, Fabio, 2004. "Delegating Powers in the European Community," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(02), pages 269-293, April.
- Elina Ribakova & BalÃ¡zs HorvÃ¡th & Dimitri G Demekas & Yi Wu, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment in Southeastern Europe; How (and How Much) Can Policies Help?," IMF Working Papers 05/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis & George Petrakos, 2009. "Local Sustainable Development and Spatial Cohesion in the Post-transition Balkans: in search of a developmental model," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 29, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- George Petrakos, 2002. "The Balkans in the New European Economic Space: Problems of Adjustment and Policies of Development," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 6-30, July.
- Eising, Rainer, 2002. "Policy Learning in Embedded Negotiations: Explaining EU Electricity Liberalization," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(01), pages 85-120, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hel:greese:10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.