The spatial aspects of development in south-eastern Europe
This paper analyses for the first time the spatial structure of south-eastern Europe in an effort to assess regional imbalances, border conditions, urban hierarchies and detect the adjustments of the region to the forces of integration and transition. The analysis is based on a unique data base compiled from national sources and is carried on with the use of statistical, diagrammatic and cartographic methods. The analysis shows that south-eastern Europe is characterized by increasing regional disparities, an increasingly superior performance of the metropolitan regions, serious discontinuities at the borders which have, in most cases, generated over-time border regions with below average performance and finally an urban system with serious deficiencies in medium sized cities. These findings suggest that regional policy should become a permanent ingredient of indigenous and international development initiatives, which need to pay a greater attention to the needs of border regions, encouraging and promoting programs and policies of cross-border cooperation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitko Dimitrov & George Petrakos & Stoyan Totev & Maria Tsiapa, 2003.
"Cross-Border Cooperation in Southeastern Europe,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(6), pages 5-25, January.
- Petrakos, G. & Caraveli, H. & Mardakis, P., 1999.
"Recent Developments in the Greek System of Urban Centres,"
DEOS Working Papers
104, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- George Petrakos & Prodromos Mardakis & Helen Caraveli, 2000. "Recent developments in the Greek system of urban centres," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(2), pages 169-181, March.
- Petrakos, G. & Caraveli, H. & Mardakis, P., 1999. "Recent Developments in the Greek System of Urban Centres," Athens University of Economics and Business 104, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- George C. Petrakos, 1996. "The Regional Dimension of Transition in Central and East European Countries: An Assessment," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(5), pages 5-38, October.
- George Petrakos, 2002. "The Balkans in the New European Economic Space: Problems of Adjustment and Policies of Development," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 6-30, July.
- George Petrakos, 2000. "Economic structure and change in the Balkan region: implications for integration, transition and economic cooperation," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 95-113, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa02p139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.