Trade Creation and Diversion Effects of Europe???s Regional Liberalization Agreements
After a short background on recent developments in gravity modelling and liberalization agreements in Europe, this paper measures the trade creation and diversion effects of major European agreements based on the results of a correctly specified triple-indexed gravity model with bilateral fixed effects. For each agreement and partner country, welfare implications are discussed in sectors of different factor intensities with emphasis on the role of similarity in income or relative factor endowments between partners, as well as the date and the reciprocity of the agreement. This is followed by a description of the characteristics of the non-partner countries that are affected by these agreements in each sector.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109|
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thursby, Jerry G & Thursby, Marie C, 1987. "Bilateral Trade Flows, the Linder Hypothesis, and Exchange Risk," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 488-495, August.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2003. "The proper panel econometric specification of the gravity equation: A three-way model with bilateral interaction effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 571-580, July.
- Pascal Lamy, 2002. "Stepping Stones or Stumbling Blocks? The EU's Approach Towards the Problem of Multilateralism vs Regionalism in Trade Policy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(10), pages 1399-1413, November.
- Barry Eichengreen & Douglas A. Irwin, 1998.
"The Role of History in Bilateral Trade Flows,"
in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 33-62
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1996.
"Catching up with Eastern Europe? The European Union's Mediterranean free trade initiative,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1562, The World Bank.
- B. Hoekman & S. Djankov, 1996. "Catching Up With Eastern Europe? The European Union's Mediterranean Free Trade Initiative," Working Papers 9612, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1996.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1995. "Catching Up With Eastern Europe? The European Union's Mediterranean Free Trade Initiative," CEPR Discussion Papers 1300, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Egger, Peter, 2000.
"A note on the proper econometric specification of the gravity equation,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-31, January.
- Peter Egger, "undated". "A Note on the Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Equation," WIFO Working Papers 108, WIFO.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1997.
"Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA,"
in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 141-168
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence From the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," NBER Working Papers 5283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry J. Eichengreen, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," IMF Working Papers 95/109, .
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1995. "Is Regionalism Simply a Diversion? Evidence from the Evolution of the EC and EFTA," CEPR Discussion Papers 1294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Imperfect competition and international trade: Evidence from fourteen industrial countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Wang, Z.K. & Winters, L.A., 1992.
"The Trading Potential of Eastern Europe,"
92-21, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, "undated". "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris, 2002. "Regionalism and Gravity," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 574-585, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Jacques J. Polak, 1996. "Is APEC a Natural Regional Trading Bloc? A Critique of the ‘Gravity Model’of International Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 533-543, 09.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-939, December.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-481, August.
- André Sapir, 1996. "The effects of Europe's international market program on production and trade: a first assessment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8162, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "The Determinants of Intra-industry Specialization in United States Trade," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 220-233, July.
- Laszlo Matyas, 1997. "Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 363-368, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2005-746. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.