Collective Reputation and Market Structure: Regulating the Quality vs Quantity Trade-of
Between market unraveling and individual reputation building, markets for experience goods often exhibit intermediate patterns. This paper explores the situation in which consumers know the average quality offered by a set of producers, but not the quality of one given product. A first issue is how such an aggregate signal shapes competition when strategic variables are quantity and quality. The equilibrium welfare function is convex in the number of competing firms as a consequence of decreasing quality and increasing quantity. A second issue is regulation. It is possible to trade-off quantity against quality through a number of regulatory tools. Among one-instrument policies, entry and quantity regulation perform better than price-based regulation. Policy implications for professional regulation in service markets and producers' organisations in agriculture are briefly discussed.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00243080|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jason A. Winfree & Jill J. McCluskey, 2005.
"Collective Reputation and Quality,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 206-213.
- Sheshinski, Eytan, 1976. "Price, Quality and Quantity Regulation in Monopoly Situations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(17), pages 127-37, May.
- Tirole, J., 1993.
"A Theory of Collective Reputations with Applications to the Persistence of Corruption and to Firm Quality,"
93-13, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jean Tirole, 1996. "A Theory of Collective Reputations (with applications to the persistence of corruption and to firm quality)," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 1-22.
- Tirole, Jean, 1994. ""A Theory of Collective Reputations" with Applications to the Persistence of Corruption and to Firm Quality," IDEI Working Papers 38, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Novshek, William., 1984.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
517, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle, 1997.
"Deregulation and Quality,"
IDEI Working Papers
69, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Strausz, Roland, 2005.
"Honest certification and the threat of capture,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 45-62, February.
- Roland Strausz, . "Honest Certification and the Threat of Capture," Papers 018, Departmental Working Papers.
- Strausz, Roland, 2004. "Honest Certification and the Threat of Capture," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 25, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Rabah Amir, 2000.
"On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1475, Econometric Society.
- AMIR, Rabah & LAMBSON, Val, 1999. "On the effects of entry in Cournot markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1999059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rabah Amir & Val E. Lambson, 1998. "On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Charles D. Kolstad & Lars Mathiesen, 1987. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Uniqueness of a Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 681-690.
- Marette, Stephan & Crespi, John M & Schiavina, Allesandra, 1999. "The Role of Common Labelling in a Context of Asymmetric Information," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 167-78, June.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1999.
"Existence and Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: A Contraction Mapping Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Van Long, Ngo & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2000. "Existence and uniqueness of Cournot equilibrium: a contraction mapping approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 345-348, June.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Carl Shapiro, 1982. "Consumer Information, Product Quality, and Seller Reputation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 20-35, Spring.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1979. "Quacks, Lemons, and Licensing: A Theory of Minimum Quality Standards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1328-46, December.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Schilizzi, Steven, 2003. "Quality Signaling through Certification. Theory and an Application to Agricultural Seed Market," IDEI Working Papers 165, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Josh Lerner & Jean Tirole, 2006. "A Model of Forum Shopping," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1091-1113, September.
- Asher Wolinsky, 1983. "Prices as Signals of Product Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 647-658.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S.W., 1988.
"Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods,"
Cahiers de recherche
8818, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Gérard Gaudet & Stephen W. Salant, 1991. "Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 399-404.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S., 1988. "Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Papers 89-10, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1999.
"Reputation and Imperfect Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
238, David K. Levine.
- David Besanko & Shabtai Donnenfeld & Lawrence J. White, 1987. "Monopoly and Quality Distortion: Effects and Remedies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(4), pages 743-767.
- Carl Shapiro, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-679.
- Paul R. Milgrom & John Roberts, 1984.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
709, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kyle Bagwell & Michael Riordan, 1988.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
808, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Geoffrey Heal, 1976. "Do Bad Products Drive Out Good?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(3), pages 499-502.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Combris, Pierre & Lecocq, Sebastien & Visser, Michael, 1997. "Estimation for a Hedonic Price Equation for Bordeaux Wine: Does Quality Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 390-402, March.
- Stéphan Marette & John Crespi, 2003. "Can Quality Certification Lead to Stable Cartels?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 43-64, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00243080. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.