Stability tests for heterogeneous panel data
This paper proposes a new test for structural instability in heterogeneous panels. The test builds on the seminal work of Andrews (2003) originally developed for time series. It is robust to non-normal, heteroskedastic and serially correlated errors, and allows for the number of post break observations to be small. Importantly, the test considers the alternative of a break affecting only some - and not all - individuals of the panel. Under mild assumptions the test statistic is shown to be asymptotically normal, thanks to the additional cross sectional dimension of panel data. This greatly facilitates the calculation of critical values. Monte Carlo experiments show that the test has good size and power under a wide range of circumstances. The test is then applied to investigate the effect of the Euro on trade.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00589114|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APGRADIENTTEST: RATS procedure to perform Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test for GARCH/Maximum Likelihood," Statistical Software Components RTS00007, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APBREAKTEST: RATS procedure to implement Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00006, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sergio Nardis, 2004. "Currency unions and trade: The special case of EMU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 625-649, September.
- Stefan de Wachter & Elias Tzavalis, 2004.
"Detection of Structural Breaks in Linear Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
505, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- De Wachter, Stefan & Tzavalis, Elias, 2012. "Detection of structural breaks in linear dynamic panel data models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3020-3034.
- Sergio Nardis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2003. "Currency unions and trade: The special case of EMU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 625-649, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00589114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.