A combined people-freight accessibility approach for urban retailing and leisure planning at strategic level
Although accessibility is usually known by urban planners, it is often applied to only people transport. However, retailing deployment needs to relate accessibility and attractiveness to both people transport (for shopping purpose) and goods transport (for delivery purpose to retailers). This paper proposes an exploratory gravity accessibility analysis applied to urban goods transport in Lyon, France, to support public decision choices in terms of retailing land use. First, an overview of accessibility used in urban goods transport is made to motivate the proposed framework. Second, the indicator is presented and justified. Third, the analysis is applied to the current situation for the urban area of Lyon, presenting and discussing the main results. Finally, recommendations to public authorities for their land-use policy assessment in terms of impacts on freight transport are proposed.
|Date of creation:||08 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published - Presented, 5th International Conference on Urban Freight Transport, I-NUF 2013, 2013, Long Beach, CA, United States|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00919537|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Christian Ambrosini & Jean-Louis Routhier, 2012. "New trends on urban goods movement: Modelling and simulation of e-commerce distribution," Post-Print halshs-00626152, HAL.
- Christian Ambrosini & Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Florence Toilier, 2013. "A design methodology for scenario-analysis in urban freight modeling," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 54, pages 7.
- Martínez, Francisco J., 1995. "Access: The transport-land use economic link," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 457-470, December.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Jean-Louis Routhier & Charles Raux, 2010. "An attractiveness-based model for shopping trips in urban areas," Post-Print halshs-00690098, HAL.
- Recker, W. W. & Chen, C. & McNally, M. G., 2001. "Measuring the impact of efficient household travel decisions on potential travel time savings and accessibility gains," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 339-369, May.
- Guido Gentile & Daniele Vigo, 2013. "Movement generation and trip distribution for freight demand modelling applied to city logistics," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 54, pages 6.
- Alexander Kubis & Maria Hartmann, 2007. "Analysis of Location of Large-area Shopping Centres. A Probabilistic Gravity Model for the Halle–Leipzig Area," Review of Regional Research, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 43-57, February.
- Francesco Russo & Antonio Comi, 2010. "A modelling system to simulate goods movements at an urban scale," Transportation, Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 987-1009, November.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, attraction, and potential: a review of some concepts and their use in determining mobility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, June.
- G H Pirie, 1979. "Measuring accessibility: a review and proposal," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 11(3), pages 299-312, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00919537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.