An alternative UGM Paradigm to O-D matrices: the FRETURB model
This paper presents an alternative methodological approach to O-D matrix and analyses its validity on the viewpoint of Bonnafous' operability triangle. The proposed model is able to estimate the impacts of urban goods movements in terms of number of vehicles, total travelled distances and road occupancy rates without generating O-D pairs. The originality of the model arises on two main elements. The first is that the modelling unit is neither the trip nor the quantity of goods, as in many literature works, but the number of movements, i.e. the number of pickup and delivery operations, which is found as the main invariant in urban goods movement generation. The second is that it follows a bottom-up approach, i.e., starting from a rich database of urban goods operations and routes, a set of behavioural functions are defined. The paper is organised with the notion of operability triangle: the model must be at the same time coherent, relevant and measurable. This analysis allows to show how the model FRETURB resolves this problem of magic triangle and also how it was resolved up to here by the various forms of modelling of the urban freight in literature.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published - Presented, WCTR 2013, 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00844652|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cascetta, Ennio, 1984. "Estimation of trip matrices from traffic counts and survey data: A generalized least squares estimator," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(4-5), pages 289-299.
- Julian Allen & Michael Browne & Tom Cherrett, 2012. "Survey Techniques in Urban Freight Transport Studies," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 287-311, February.
- Francesco Russo & Antonio Comi, 2010. "A modelling system to simulate goods movements at an urban scale," Transportation, Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 987-1009, November.
- Comi, Antonio & Delle Site, Paolo & Filippi, Francesco & Nuzzolo, Agostino, 2012. "Urban Freight Transport Demand Modelling: a State of the Art," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 51, pages 8.
- Nuzzolo, Agostino & Crisalli, Umberto & Comi, Antonio, 2012. "A trip chain order model for simulating urban freight restocking," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 50, pages 7.
- José Holguín-Veras & Ellen Thorson & Juan Zorrilla, 2010. "Commercial Vehicle Empty Trip Models With Variable Zero Order Empty Trip Probabilities," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 241-259, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00844652. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.