Place Rank: Valuing Spatial Interactions
Accessibility measures the potential of opportunities for interaction. This paper proposes and explores a new flow-based measure, 'place rank' using origin-destination information. Both impedance and value of opportunities are embedded in the dataset that includes the origin and destination of each person within the studied region. Individuals contribute to the place rank at their destination (work) zone with a power that depends on the attractiveness of the zone of origin. In this paper we demonstrate this place rank measure for three activities (Jobs, Resident Workers, and Health Services) in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan region and Jobs in Montreal, Canada. We compare place rank to traditional measures of accessibility. Since place rank is based on actual choices of origins and destinations it is a measure of realized rather than potential opportunities, and so unlike accessibility measures. Also it does not require the knowledge of travel time between all origins and destinations.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Networks and Spatial Economics 11(4) pp. 643-659|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dept. of Civil Engineering, 500 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455|
Phone: +01 (612) 625-6354
Fax: +01 (612) 626-7750
Web page: http://nexus.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wachs, Martin & Kumagai, T. Gordon, 1973. "Physical accessibility as a social indicator," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 437-456, October.
- G H Pirie, 1979. "Measuring accessibility: a review and proposal," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 11(3), pages 299-312, March.
- A G Wilson, 1971. "A family of spatial interaction models, and associated developments," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 3(1), pages 1-32, January.
- R W Vickerman, 1974.
"Accessibility, attraction, and potential: a review of some concepts and their use in determining mobility,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, June.
- R W Vickerman, 1974. "Accessibility, Attraction, and Potential: A Review of Some Concepts and Their Use in Determining Mobility," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 6(6), pages 675-691, December.
- Matthews, K.B. & Buchan, K. & Sibbald, A.R. & Craw, S., 2006. "Combining deliberative and computer-based methods for multi-objective land-use planning," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 18-37, January.
- G H Pirie, 1979. "Measuring Accessibility: A Review and Proposal," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 11(3), pages 299-312, March.
- A G Wilson, 1971. "A Family of Spatial Interaction Models, and Associated Developments," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 3(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Q Shen, 1998. "Location characteristics of inner-city neighborhoods and employment accessibility of low-wage workers," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(3), pages 345-365, May.
- Shanjiang Zhu & David Levinson, 2015. "Do People Use the Shortest Path? An empirical test of Wardrop's first principle," Working Papers 000059, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Handy, Susan, 1994. "Highway Blues: Nothing a Little Accessibility Can't Cure," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt66k8b8bz, University of California Transportation Center.
- S L Handy & D A Niemeier, 1997. "Measuring accessibility: an exploration of issues and alternatives," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(7), pages 1175-1194, July.
- Paul Anderson & David Levinson & Pavithra Parthasarathi, 2011. "Accessibility Futures," Working Papers 000088, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- David Levinson, 1998. "Accessibility and the Journey to Work," Working Papers 199802, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Karst T Geurs & Jan R Ritsema van Eck, 2003. "Evaluation of accessibility impacts of land-use scenarios: the implications of job competition, land-use, and infrastructure developments for the Netherlands," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(1), pages 69-87, January.
- S L Handy & D A Niemeier, 1997. "Measuring Accessibility: An Exploration of Issues and Alternatives," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 29(7), pages 1175-1194, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nex:wpaper:placerank. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Levinson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.