Smart grids : Another step towards competition, energy security and climate change objectives
The deployment of smart grids in electricity systems has given rise to much interdisciplinary research. The new technology is seen as an additional instrument available to States to achieve targets for promoting competition, increasing the safety of electricity systems and combating climate change. But the boom in smart grids also raises many economic questions. Public policies will need to be adapted, firstly to make allowance for the potential gains from smart grids and the associated information flow, and secondly to regulate the new networks and act as an incentive for investors. The new competitive offerings and end-user pricing systems will contribute to improving allocative and productive efficiency, while minimizing the risks of market power. With real-time data on output and consumption, generators and consumers will be able to adapt to market conditions. Lastly smart grids will boost the development of renewable energy sources and new technologies, by assisting their integration and optimal use.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Policy, Elsevier, 2011, 39 (9), pp.5399-5408. <10.1016/j.enpol.2011.05.024>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00617702|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2001. "Transmission Constraints and Imperfect Markets for Power," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Joskow, P. & Tirole, J., 2003.
"Merchant Transmission Investment,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0324, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Merchant Transmission Investment," Working Papers 0304, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Joskow, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2004. "Merchant Transmission Investment," IDEI Working Papers 263, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Merchant Transmission Investment," NBER Working Papers 9534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newborough, M. & Probert, S. D., 1990. "Intelligent automatic electrical-load management for networks of major domestic appliances," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 151-168.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1995. "Bertrand Competition When Rivals' Costs Are Unknown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Frei, Christoph W., 2008. "What if...? Utility vision 2020," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3640-3645, October.
- Leonardo Meeus & Marcelo Saguan & Jean-Michel Glachant & Ronnie Belmans, 2010. "Smart Regulation for Smart Grids," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/45, European University Institute.
- Jaramillo, O.A. & Borja, M.A. & Huacuz, J.M., 2004. "Using hydropower to complement wind energy: a hybrid system to provide firm power," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1887-1909.
- Hirst, Eric & Cavanagh, Ralph & Miller, Peter, 1996. "The future of DSM in a restructured US electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 303-315, April.
- Chao, Hung-po, 2010. "Price-Responsive Demand Management for a Smart Grid World," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 7-20, January.
- Moura, Pedro S. & de Almeida, Aníbal T., 2010. "The role of demand-side management in the grid integration of wind power," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2581-2588, August.
- Jackson, Jerry, 2010. "Improving energy efficiency and smart grid program analysis with agent-based end-use forecasting models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3771-3780, July.
- Wade, N.S. & Taylor, P.C. & Lang, P.D. & Jones, P.R., 2010. "Evaluating the benefits of an electrical energy storage system in a future smart grid," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7180-7188, November.
- Coll-Mayor, Debora & Paget, Mia & Lightner, Eric, 2007. "Future intelligent power grids: Analysis of the vision in the European Union and the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2453-2465, April.
- Doucet, Joseph & Littlechild, Stephen, 2009. "Negotiated settlements and the National Energy Board in Canada," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4633-4644, November.
- Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Svento, Rauli, 2010. "Comparing welfare effects of different regulation schemes: An application to the electricity distribution industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7370-7377, November.
- Erdil, Erzat & Ilkan, Mustafa & Egelioglu, Fuat, 2008. "An experimental study on energy generation with a photovoltaic (PV)–solar thermal hybrid system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1241-1245.
- Glachant, Jean-Michel & Pignon, Virginie, 2005. "Nordic congestion's arrangement as a model for Europe? Physical constraints vs. economic incentives," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 153-162, June.
- Littlechild, Stephen C. & Skerk, Carlos J., 2008. "Transmission expansion in Argentina 1: The origins of policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1367-1384, July.
- Tarjei Kristiansen & Juan Rosellón, 2006. "A Merchant Mechanism for Electricity Transmission Expansion," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 167-193, 03.
- Lofaro, Andrea, 2002. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot competition under incomplete information," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 561-578, September.
- Woo, Chi-Keung, 1990. "Efficient Electricity Pricing with Self-Rationing," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 69-81, March.
- Nair, Nirmal-Kumar C. & Zhang, Lixi, 2009. "SmartGrid: Future networks for New Zealand power systems incorporating distributed generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3418-3427, September.
- Michael G. Pollitt, 2008. "The Future of Electricity (and Gas) Regulation in a Low-carbon Policy World," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 63-94.
- Orans, Ren & Woo, C.K. & Horii, Brian & Chait, Michele & DeBenedictis, Andrew, 2010. "Electricity Pricing for Conservation and Load Shifting," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 7-14, April.
- Clastres, C. & Ha Pham, T.T. & Wurtz, F. & Bacha, S., 2010. "Ancillary services and optimal household energy management with photovoltaic production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 55-64.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00617702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.