European Union energy security: the challenges of liberalisation in a risk-prone international environment Society
The liberalisation and integration of European energy markets in a single one are going on. However, the energy environment of the European Union as well as its own internal situation have undergone profound changes. Thus, energy security issue of member states is discussed. This security concerns gas market, where suppliers'contracts and relations have been signed to secure the system, and today electricity markets because of the use of natural gas as an input of power generation. These two markets comply with security concerns, as investments in peak power plants, in transmissions assets, diversification of suppliers, negociation of contracts with different durations. Actors of energy markets have to manage the security concerns to supply socially and economically essential commodities. In this article, we address two main topics. The first is related to gas and electricity transmission, access and investment in huge transnational gas pipelines and electricity interconnectors. The second concerns the upstream structure of the gas and electricity value chains, namely the problem of investing in peak electricity generation and relations with gas suppliers outside the EU.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published - Presented, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM 2012), 2012, Florence, Italy|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00787123|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn Roar Aune, Knut Einar Rosendahl and Eirik Lund Sagen, 2009.
"Globalisation of Natural Gas Markets - Effects on Prices and Trade Patterns,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 39-54.
- Finn Roar Aune & Knut Einar Rosendahl & Eirik Lund Sagen, 2008. "Globalisation of natural gas markets – effects on prices and trade patterns," Discussion Papers 559, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Mark Armstrong & David E.M. Sappington, 2006.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(2), pages 325-366, June.
- Vincent Rious & Jean-Michel Glachant & Yannick Perez & Philippe Dessante, 2008.
"The diversity of design of TSOs,"
- Vincent Rious & Jean-Michel Glachant & Yannick Perez & Philippe Dessante, 2008. "The Diversity of Design of TSOs," Working Papers 0805, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Rious, V. & Glachant , J. & Perez, Y. & Dessante, P., 2008. "The Diversity of Design of TSOs," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0822, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Winzer, C., 2011.
"Conceptualizing Energy Security,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
1151, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Finon, Dominique & Pignon, Virginie, 2008. "Capacity mechanisms in imperfect electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 141-142, September.
- Correlje, Aad & van der Linde, Coby, 2006. "Energy supply security and geopolitics: A European perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 532-543, March.
- Masten, Scott E & Crocker, Keith J, 1985. "Efficient Adaptation in Long-term Contracts: Take-or-Pay Provisions for Natural Gas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1083-93, December.
- Glachant, Jean-Michel & Lévêque, François & Ranci, Pippo, 2008. "Some Guideposts on the Road to Formulating a Coherent Policy on EU Energy Security of Supply," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 13-18, December.
- Kruyt, Bert & van Vuuren, D.P. & de Vries, H.J.M. & Groenenberg, H., 2009. "Indicators for energy security," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2166-2181, June.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Robert J. Weiner, 1990.
"Efficient Contracting and Market Power: Evidence from the U.S. Natural Gas Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
3502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Weiner, Robert J, 1991. "Efficient Contracting and Market Power: Evidence from the U.S. Natural Gas Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(1), pages 25-67, April.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1987. "Contracts as a Barrier to Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 388-401, June.
- Jacques Percebois, 2008. "The supply of natural gas in the European Union-strategic issues," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(1), pages 33-53, 03.
- Tarjei Kristiansen & Juan Rosellón, 2006. "A Merchant Mechanism for Electricity Transmission Expansion," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 167-193, 03.
- Jacques Percebois, 2008. "Electricity Liberalization in the European Union: Balancing Benefits and Risks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-20.
- Pollitt, Michael, 2008.
"The arguments for and against ownership unbundling of energy transmission networks,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 704-713, February.
- Pollitt, M., 2007. "The arguments for and against ownership unbundling of energy transmission networks," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0737, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Roques, F.A. & Savva , N.S., 2006. "Price Cap Regulation and Investment Incentives under Demand Uncertainty," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0636, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Susanna Dorigoni & Federico Pontoni, 2010. "Ownership Separation of the Gas Transportation Network: Theory and Practice," ECONOMICS AND POLICY OF ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(2), pages 57-83.
- Thomas-Olivier Léautier & Véronique Thelen, 2009. "Optimal expansion of the power transmission grid: why not?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 127-153, October.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1979. "Contracts, Price Rigidity, and Market Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1034-62, October.
- Lofaro, Andrea, 2002. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot competition under incomplete information," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 561-578, September.
- Faye Steiner, 2001. "Regulation, industry structure and performance in the electricity supply industry," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(1), pages 143-182.
- Glachant, Jean-Michel & Pignon, Virginie, 2005. "Nordic congestion's arrangement as a model for Europe? Physical constraints vs. economic incentives," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 153-162, June.
- Finon, Dominique & Pignon, Virginie, 2008. "Electricity and long-term capacity adequacy: The quest for regulatory mechanism compatible with electricity market," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 143-158, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00787123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.