Relations UE-Russie : les enjeux d'une nouvelle architecture gazière
The EU gas security is a key factor of its energy policy. The contractual relations based on long-term contracts during the 1970s and 1980s led to relative stability in energy trade between EU and its gas suppliers. But since the mid-1990s, the process of opening up the EU's gas industries to competition and the desire to create a single gas market led to an in-depth reorganization of the sector. In this context, the EU intends to redefine the way in which it manages its relations with its main suppliers like Russia by attempting to impose a model based on competition, unbundling of network industries and privatization. This "EU model" is no longer the one that Russia intends to implement in its gas sector, despite the big changes taking place in its domestic market. An approach based on the preferential use of state instruments conflicts with the multilateralism and principles of competition of the EU. The EU's normative power is thus in contradiction with the institutional environment of the Russian energy sector. In this context, it is unlikely that standards based on international rules and institutions could only be used to structure energy relations between the EU and Russia.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Cahier de recherche LEPII-EDDEN ; 18/2012. 2012, 21 p|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00755640|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanna Dorigoni & Federico Pontoni, 2010. "Ownership Separation of the Gas Transportation Network: Theory and Practice," ECONOMICS AND POLICY OF ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 0(2), pages 57-83.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2008. "Gazprom's export strategies under the institutional constraint of the Russian gas market," Post-Print halshs-00341660, HAL.
- Rudiger Ahrend & William Tompson, 2004. "Russia's Gas Sector: The Endless Wait for Reform?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 402, OECD Publishing.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Weiner, Robert J, 1991.
"Efficient Contracting and Market Power: Evidence from the U.S. Natural Gas Industry,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(1), pages 25-67, April.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Robert J. Weiner, 1990. "Efficient Contracting and Market Power: Evidence from the U.S. Natural Gas Industry," NBER Working Papers 3502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacques Percebois, 2008. "The supply of natural gas in the European Union-strategic issues," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(1), pages 33-53, 03.
- Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006.
"Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited – An Empirical Analysis of producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry,"
0610, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Christian Hirschhausen & Anne Neumann, 2008. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited: An Empirical Analysis of Producer–Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-143, March.
- Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited: An Empirical Analysis of Producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 552, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Neumann, A. & von Hirschhausen, C., 2006. "Long-Term Contracts and Asset Specificity Revisited -An Empirical Analysis of Producer-Importer Relations in the Natural Gas Industry," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0630, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Miguel Vazquez, Michelle Hallack and Jean-Michel Glachant, 2012. "Building gas markets: US versus EU, market versus market model," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/10, European University Institute.
- Crocker, Keith J & Masten, Scott E, 1991.
"Pretia ex Machina? Prices and Process in Long-Term Contracts,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(1), pages 69-99, April.
- Crocker, K.J. & Masten, S.E., 1988. "Pretia Ex Machina?: Prices And Process In Long-Term Contracts," Papers 10-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Weiner, Robert J, 1986. "Regulation and Long-term Contracting in U.S. Natural Gas Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 71-79, September.
- Mulherin, J Harold, 1986. "Complexity in Long-term Contracts: An Analysis of Natural Gas Contractual Provisions," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 105-17, Spring.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2008. "Gazprom's export strategies under the institutional constraint of the Russian gas market," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(3), pages 246-264, 09.
- Tarr, David G., 2010.
"Export restraints on russian natural gas and raw timber : what are the economic impacts ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5195, The World Bank.
- David G. Tarr, 2010. "Export Restraints on Russian Natural Gas and Raw Timber: What are the Economic Impacts?," CEPE Working paper series 10-74, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Winzer, C., 2011.
"Conceptualizing Energy Security,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
1151, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kruyt, Bert & van Vuuren, D.P. & de Vries, H.J.M. & Groenenberg, H., 2009. "Indicators for energy security," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2166-2181, June.
- Sylvain Rossiaud & Catherine Locatelli, 2009. "The obstacles in the way of stabilising the Russian oil model," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 425-438.
- Eikeland, Per Ove, 2007. "Downstream natural gas in Europe--High hopes dashed for upstream oil and gas companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 227-237, January.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5372 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Mukherjee, Ishani, 2011. "Conceptualizing and measuring energy security: A synthesized approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 5343-5355.
- Masten, Scott E & Crocker, Keith J, 1985. "Efficient Adaptation in Long-term Contracts: Take-or-Pay Provisions for Natural Gas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1083-93, December.
- Stephen Padgett, 2011. "Energy Co‐operation in the Wider Europe: Institutionalizing Interdependence," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 1065-1087, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00755640. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.